1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wanna see something crazy?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
  2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    That's a great catch, Addieleman, and you have a valid observation here. It seems that the eBay prices for vintage lenses are getting really high, especially from European sellers. (The US sellers are usually a bit lower, but if you add VAT to that and import duties, it's generally not worth it.) Some of the national European auction sites still have decent prices. But clearly it's getting more and more difficult to get bargains as more people have discovered the delights of vintage lenses.

3. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, I don't miss too many auctions on Minolta lenses... :eek: Last week a Rokkor 20/2.8 went for € 235 and that was a normal auction, not a Buy-It-Now. I may have to hold off for a while on extending my collection.

4. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Good to know. What's your name on eBay? It seems silly if we should get into a bidding war... and inflate prices even more ;)

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My eBay name is ad1740; these days the other bidders' names are hidden so you won't know it's me that's bidding. Anyway, I always bid in the last 5 seconds, so it's quite difficult to get engaged in a bidding war with me :).

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Whoa, another one just ended for € 281. What the heck's going on here? Honestly, from an image quality perspective these lenses aren't worth that kind of money IMHO. I for one never use them, these 24mm lenses can't hold a candle to the Sigma 30/2.8.

7. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Alright, I thought the first and the last letter was shown so you would be a***0? But I guess last second bidding is fairest in a way as it reflects everyone's top bid. At least you don't get to come back and outbid somebody by 1 euro.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    They have a more intricate scheme of hashing user names, obviously my "hidden" name is 1***d. As for bidding in the dying seconds of the auction, I've found it's simply the most effective way of getting an item without overpaying. I follow Ken Rockwell's advice to determine a price where you're kind of indifferent, striking a balance between wanting to have an item and overpaying for it. If someone outbids me, my reaction must be: "Oh well, that wasn't such a great price anyway."

9. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    I'm beginning to understand why your lens collection is so big...

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There are more reasons for that besides an efficient eBay bidding strategy, but I don't want to go into that... :biggrin:

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just because it is on Ebay does not mean it is going to be cheap.

I have never paid more than $100.00 for a lens.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    On the contrary, on eBay you pay the highest prices for lenses. I often got them for much less on fairs and local auction sites. The 24mm shown earlier is a good example. Very, very rarely a seller offers an item in a Buy-It-Now auction for a low price, but you have to be quick, such an item is sold almost instantly. Like Ken Rockwell says, if a Buy-It-Now auction is older than 1 day, the price is too high.

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The best way I've found to prevent getting caught up in a bidding war is to determine a high price before I start in on an auction, and then set that price as my maximum bid, though of course my starting bid will be much lower. That way I don't need to be present as the auction winds down, with my finger hovering over the keyboard. And if I lose the auction, then it was because the price went higher than I was willing to pay. So if some &$@% on the other end keeps outbidding my automatic bids, I won't get caught up in the frenzy, because I won't even be there. :)

14. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Sounds very sensible. So far, I have actually deliberately overpaid on Buy it Now to quickly get the basic lens collection that I wanted/needed. One advantage of that is that traders with high feedback ratings will often understate the condition of the lens to avoid complaints. So in that sense you get what you pay for.

15. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have been fortunate to find a few lenses I wanted with what I felt were low BIN prices, including one in its first hour. One was a Vivitar 24/2.8. I realize it is not a Rokkor, but for <$50 shipped, it takes very nice photos. I have been able to find a few other nice Vivitar lenses for $30 or less, shipped. As you can tell from my signature, I like Vivitar lenses. :)

Tony

16. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I've been on the lookout on ebay for minolta 20mm at a decent price. but they always seem to go for $250+. Just gotta be patient I guess.

Have you tried sniping? There are many free sniping tools out there (you put in the item # and the max you want to bid and it automatically bids for you with seconds to go). This prevents the hoverers from outbidding you a lot of the time b/c they can't but in a bid fast enough after your bid is placed at the very second.

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Same here, Minolta 20mm prices aren't fun anymore. Sniping, i.e. bidding in the last few seconds, can be done manually of course, but I prefer an automated bidding tool. Even when I'm home, I'm mostly not sitting behind the PC when the auction is about to end. I use Auction Sniper.

18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    When I see something I want very much I always bid the last hour.
    Then I patiently sit in front of the PC and watch the auction to see if someone else responds to my bidding. If no, then the last few seconds I put another high bid.
    I hate losing something I want bad for $1 :mad:

Speaking about crazy...
    Minolta MD W Rokkor 35mm, F/2.8 Lens

??? :confused:

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Strange seller. Sells a lot of lenses for the same high price, but on most items you can make an offer ;). I keep track of eBay prices by looking at auctions, mostly not at Buy-It-Now prices.

20. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Is that the secret way, you mentioned earlier? Anyway, it's kind of fun to see how the bidding develops in the last 15 seconds.

I bought a camera bag locally and on the cheap today, which seems to have some goodies in it. We'll see how well I guessed the lenses when it arrives :)