1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Walt Disney World...what to bring?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dragion, May 22, 2014.

1. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I usually shoot with Nikon D7000, but with the plans on going to WDW this Summer I wanted to carry something light.
    I ended up going with the Sony A6000.

Now my question is, what lenses should I bring?
    Since this will be my first time visiting WDW, I would like to know the best gear to bring.

My thoughts are:

Sony Alpha 6000 (of course)
    SEL PZ 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom
    SEL 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 (for Animal Kingdom)
    SEL 35mm f/1.8 prime (indoor/low light)
    SEL 20mm f/2.8 prime w/ wide angle adapter (landscape/fireworks)

Trying to keep it simple.

Your thoughts.....?

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Looks like you have got it covered!

I usually travel light on my Nex-6 (I am almost always on a motorcycle). The kit lens is extremely compact/light and handy and works well in daylight situations and covers a nice range. A bright prime is nice for indoor/night-time situations (I have the 50 1.8, but it is sometimes too tight to be really handy indoors). The big zoom will be great at the zoo.

Of what you listed, I would probably not bring the 20mm prime just to simplify, since that FL is covered already by the KL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree with Spaceman. Everything you chose is good. The key will be the 35f18. It's the one lens that can live on your camera day, night, indoors and outdoors.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    It really depends on what you want the trip to be. Fun or photography.

I personally can get by with just the kit lens. Been many times and lugging around gear gets old . After years of lugging gear through airports and throughout the WDW Parks I've changed my ways. Most of the time I carry just an extra battery, memory cards , and a gallon sized Ziplock bag for the afternoon rains. Oh, can't forget my Gorilla Pod.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 2
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would agree. I rarely carry more than one extra lens in a family trip.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks for all the advice.

I'm concerned that the 16-50mm will fall short & won't hold up to low light shots.
    That is why I think both the 55-210 & 35mm will come in to play.
    Agree....?

I'm definitely reconsidering about bringing the 20mm & wide angle adapter.

I'm planning to be visiting one park a day, so I'll bring which ever combo will be best for that day.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Agreed. When I went to the Animal Kingdom, all I had was the 18-55 and 55-210. The 55-210 was needed for anything outdoors - The reach was essential. For indoors, I wished I had a faster lens, but had just bought the 5n + 2 lens combo. The 35/1.8 will come in handy.

I think the four lenses you have will be a great arsenal. If you have to pare it down, I think I'd leaveout the 20mm + WA first, then the 16-50.. But that 16-50 is so small, it would be a shame not to take it and have wanted it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I think that's probably the best idea, pack multiple lenses, but only take the applicable for the day.

The 55-210 obviously for the zoo day, with one of the faster primes for those darker places

The rest of the trip, one of the kit lenses should be more than adequate, again with one of the faster primes for moments you need more light.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    +1. 16-50 when on rides etc at WDW (very compact and won't get in the way).

• Like Like x 1
  10. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks again for the help! :thumbup:

I have 2 Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB SD cards ready and an extra battery w/charger.
    Ziplock bag for the wet weather & rides.

The only thing I don't have is a Gorilla Pod...should I consider buying one?

11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    ...Gorilla Pod: cool, but not essential. K.I.S.S. No more gear. Relax. Have fun with the family. Take some pictures. Return triumphantly, and then post them. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I also wouldn't bother with the 20mm UWA. 16mm will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I did a 5 week trip to the USA from Australia we covered every thing from Disneyland and Universal studios to Washington, New York and Alaska, I took a nex f3 1855, 55210, 16mm with a wide and fish eye converter all in a 5 million dollar bag. My experience was that the 1855 did the most work the 55210 came out only at a zoo and a couple times in Alaska, the 16mm and fisheye was a lot of fun in New York and the shoulder bag wasn't that much of a burden. So if I did it again what would I take well I now have a nex 6 instead of the f3 and for lenses if money wasn't an issue I would take only the 1670 zies but because I cant afford 1 then the 1855 would be all. My next trip is a South Pacific cruise for 2 weeks in a couple mths I am only taking the 6 and the 1855 on this trip. Also don't forget to enjoy yourself and don't just spend all your time trying to get the best photos.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    For the Disney resorts? No. Not needed. You might find a couple of fountains someplace (Animal Kingdom?) where you would want a stable camera and longer shutter speed, but not worth it. Most of the time, you'll be lugging it around for nothing. I have usually had some sort of luck holding the camera against a wall, fence post, or similar in these situations. If you do get one, maybe for a steady mount for fireworks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Your patience.

...and the fast passes are worth every penny.

If you don't have a tiny bag to hold the gear you decide to take, go buy a cheap one, no bigger than you need. You may feel compelled to leave your camera with a ride attendant, which will be better in a bag than handing him/her your camera on a strap. We live less than an hour from the parks, and go frequently. I can't remember which rides specifically, but many have harnesses that drop over your shoulders. You won't want a camera with you for those. Yes, you could rent a locker, but those rides also have little cubbies to put stuff in just for that ride. I'd suggest that putting a little Walmart camera bag in the cubbie (they are watched by park staff) would call less attention than a nice camera on a strap. I use a little nondescript Domke, but have on occasion just wrapped the camera in a light jacket or t-shirt to keep it out of site in those cubbies. I'm about 50/50 on leaving my camera like that, but the staff always assures me it is safe (though it is posted that they are NOT responsible).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I brought my DSLR with 17-50/2.8, 55-250 and 85/1.8 to Universal Studios, ended up leaving both teles at the hotel. Plenty of wide shots, not too many long shots. Unfortunately 16-50 alone would be too slow on the inside. So bring that and primes, not like they are taking much space.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I purchased the Sony LCS-EMF and seems to be perfect size.
    It can fit the A6000 with 16-50mm attached...as well as the 55-210mm & 35mm.
    It does have a slim zippered pocket, which I can place my extra battery and SD card.
    I have a CarrySpeed strap...similar to Black Rapids, which can be detached rather quickly.

It's not the most "protective" camera bag, but will do well for what I need it for.
    I will be placing it into a backpack/carryon during the flight to WDW & back to Boston, so it will be well protected then.

14259373502_6d96421a48_b.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InUAIcIXeZw

I paid only $12.30 plus tax on Amazon's Gold Box Deal with Prime.

Attached Files:

18. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    My initial plan was to bring my Nikon D7000 with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 & Nikon AF-S 70-300mm VR II (Animal Kingdom only), but decided to buy lighter gear instead.
    My plan is to bring the 16-50mm, 35mm f/1.8 & 55-210mm...should cover what I need.

19. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I really like the look of that bag. I have the Nex-5 bag which takes the camera with 18-55 fitted plus the 16F28, and it's just too small with the added bulk of the A6000.

Problem is, the SCF-EMF is £30 ($50!!!) here from ebay (cannot find it at any retailer)! It would genuinely be cheaper to get B&H to ship it and pay the import duty!

• Like Like x 1
  20. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I have the Case Logic cross body bag. It's really great, I can put my 5T with the 16-50mm with 2 filters in their boxes, a tripod (1m35 at the highest), 2 or 3 lenses (when I'll buy them LOL) an extra battery, a remote controle, extension tubes, sun glasses, wallet etc... It's built tough, small and very practical. Oh and I can also put my IPad in it, there's a room designed for it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nPoAnWnEYHs

Take a look at my gallery and follow me on 500px: http://500px.com/IdealuzPhotography
    Or on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118310489@N03/

• Like Like x 1