Wait for a7mk3/a7Rmk3 or...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mesmerized, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 26, 2014
    Howdy,

We all know mk3 cameras are coming and the question that arises is - is it worth it buying an a7mk2 or a7Rmk2 right now? I really feel tempted to go for it, but since my budget is pretty tight, I'd like to feel that I've made the best decision.

Also, if you were getting into the E-mount system today, what would be your first 3 must-have lenses for street and landscape photography? For portraits, the choice seems to be easy... Zeiss 55 or the new 85 are great.

Cheers

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm waiting for the A7II mk3 mainly so I can get my hands on a fire sale A7 II body!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'd say if you have the funds to get an A7iii when it comes out (my guess is that its going to cost $2K), then the wise thing to do is at least wait another 2-3 months to see what new the iii is gonna bring to the table :)

The second question is again rather subjective and it depends on ones budget. There are soooo many e-mount lenses to choose from...

Yeah, the Zeiss 55 and Batis 85 are obvious choices for portraits but don't forget the awesome 70-200 4 G (I love mine!). And if one has a high budget, then there's also another nifty-fifty: the expensive Zeiss 50 1.4 and also the 85 1.4 GM and 70-200 2.8 GM. And the Batis 135 2.8 and 100 2.8 GM. And if one is on a budget then there are also the FE 50, the FE 85 etc

The 35 2.8 (or the more expensive 35 1.4) is a nice lens for street photography that also can be used for portraits too. The 28 2 is also an affordable option.

For landscape, IMO there is no other option really (native af lens), than the 16-35 4 - again if money isn't an issue I guess there also the option of the new 12-24 or 16-35 2.8 GM
    There are also the Batis 18 2.8, Batis 25 2, and cheaper 28 2 for landscapes

Normal zooms are not bad either. 24-70 2.8 GM or cheaper 24-70 4. You can do portraits, landscapes and street too (though the GM is heavy).

What I'm trying to prove is that there are so many options now, affordable lenses and expensive lenses - not like the old days of e-mount where choices were very limited ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Voigtlander 10/5.6
    Tokina 20/2
    Zeiss 55/1.8

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The Zeiss Loxia series is reputed to be pretty great, but they are not really for the budget-conscious. The Loxia 21 would be an excellent landscape lens, though. With that out of the way, I have the Tokina Firin 20/2 Ted mentioned (thanks to a nice ebay sale he posted a link to). So far, I think the $799 retail price is a pretty good value. It is manual focus (as are the Loxia lenses), but Sony focus peaking and magnification work great with it for getting that critical bit of focus. I'd go so far as to say that if my photos with it are lacking, it is not the lens.

I also recently acquired the Zony 35/2.8. It is very small and light, not quite a pancake but about as small as FE lenses get. It is a bit pricey new, so I would (and did) look at used. I am not sure I am wild about 35mm as a focal length, but that would probably be the only reason I might not keep it.

You did not say if you want all native. If you are willing to use legacy lenses, you can often get some nice glass for not too much money. If you pick up a TechArt Pro adapter (aka TAP), you can add autofocus to many old lenses, and you are on a stabilized camera with the mark II versions. Sony has always been strong for adapted glass, and this makes it even more viable if you need/want autofocus.

I'll end (whew) by saying that although everybody is expecting the A7iii this fall, there is nothing official yet. While you wait with everyone else, you could be enjoying an awesome full-frame camera. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I fully expect to be sorely tempted by the features of the A7III, and dismayed at its MSRP. But like JonathanF2, I look forward to a fire sale on lightly used (LIKE NEW! MINT!) A7RIIs. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks to you all!
    I guess that I'd only be able to afford one, maybe two lenses... The questions is - is it better to pull the trigger on the A7mk2 or splash out and get A7rMK2 (all of that knowing that mk3's are coming)

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    If you can afford an A7iii now (when that comes out eventually), it means that you can also afford a mkii - so what's a couple of months of wait? ;)

9. mesmerized

Mar 26, 2014
    Good question. Well, the thing is that in a few months, I might not be where I am right now... i.e. Asia... I just wanted to take as many pictures as I can while I'm here, and I find my m43 gear to be lacking.

I'd rather wait, but then again... Hmm... If I had enough money, I'd just go for the R version 'cause the new R mk3 will be released no sooner than in mid 2018 and it's sensor might sport a 50-60Mpix, which is way too much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    A minute ago, I pulled the trigger on an A7RII. I said I wouldn't get one until I could get a new one for $2k or less, and today, it happened.......... so, if anyone is interested in a like-new A7II, let me know.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    congrats! excited to see EVEN more detail in your images

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Love your architectural shots Ted. Looking forward to your images from the A7Rii :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a good deal. Let us know how you like it for your line of work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Like most of you, I'm kind of waiting for the Mk3 to come out to snap up a "LIKE NEW!!!" A7r2. The thing is, looking at the tech on the a6500 and the a9, the A7iii could theoretically blow it away and trigger massive GAS attacks among the population.
    So I think my advice is, if you have the funds, don't wait. Cameras have good resale value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I hate to be clueless, but I haven't seen anything on the A7III other than a few months back on SAR and Google yields nothing credible. Yet I've seen a number of forums with similar (should I wait) threads of late. Is there some new info why people are thinking it will be announce/available soon? What are the specs?

16. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    There were two new camera serial numbers registered by Sony in Japan. In the past that's been a good indicator that a new camera is immanent. Beyond that, it is really just rumors and speculation.

17. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Do the registration numbers give any clue as to what sort of camera they pertain?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. Tipton

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    If I recall correctly, one number was similar to those previously issued for the rx1 series, the other was similar to those used for the a7 series. I can't remember which site I read that on. It was about a month ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I pay little attention to rumors, but as far as I know, Sony has not said when successors might become available, much less what the A7iii/A7Riii successors would contain for sensor and technologies.

It's a bit like tabloids and "fake news" sites. Some people eat up every rumor and love to post it along with their own ideas somewhere online and stir up further speculation and perhaps some heated arguments over something that may not ever exist. It's entertainment for some, I guess.