Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 Lens for Sony E-Mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by runnerpsu, Apr 9, 2018.

1. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I enjoy street photography and, when with them, shooting my grandsons sporting events so I thought a 70-200 would be my next lens. However, since I am shooting more street photo's I changed my plan. I wanted to move to a manual 35 mm lens so I started looking at the Loxia 35. Clearly, the Loxia lenses are excellent but very expensive. So, I started looking at alternatives and found the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 Lens for Sony E-Mount (Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4).

I've read several threads here and on Fred Miranda about the Voightlander 40 mm that seem to focus on the M mount. Should I choose a lens with an M mount that means I need an adaptor. From what I read, even with the adaptor, the M mount lens would be smaller and lighter on my A 7 II. What I don't understand is why selecting the M mount and adaptor would be more advantageous than going with the E mount version.

My skills and knowledge are well below many on this site so I would value thoughts on purchasing this lens vs purchasing the M mount with adaptor version.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    There are pros and cons regarding both. If you go with the E mount version, you'll get EXIF information and the lens I believe benefits from getting corrected lens profiles in post production in apps like LR or ACR instead of dialing them in manually. The big advantage with the M mount version is that you can adapt it to other mirrorless systems and you also have the option of using it with a Techart Pro Adapter in order to get auto focus. Also just from what I've noticed personally, M mount lenses also seem to exhibit more shallow DOF at the expense of corner sharpness that the E mount lenses seem to do better at. Steve Huff made note of that phenomenon:

Quick Shoot Out: Voigtlander 40 f/1.2 M Mount vs Voigtlander 40 f/1.2 E Mount! – Steve Huff Photo

It's up to you depending on what your priorities are! Good luck!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    I have the Ultron 35/f1.7 in Leica M mount and LR has a lens profile for it (under the Voigtlander VM series of lenses). Not sure the difference between 1.4 and 1.7 is cost effective, that's up to the user. I picked up my lens from Cameraquest, used, Mint.

4. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Jonathan! I'm such a novice so your thoughts are very helpful.

I've not used EXIF that much so perhaps my question is off base. If I choose the M mount, does that mean none of the meta data would show in LR or am I confusing EXIF and metadata?

At this time, having two different systems is not something to consider. The Pres and CEO of our company would not be happy if I branched out that far:biggrin:

I'm leaning toward the E mount but need to do some more research. I was considering renting both as well as the Loxia to help me decide.

5. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    What adaptor do you use?

6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Novoflex.

Also consider the Voigtlander variable (close focus) adapter; or the Raqual adapter. These three are in a league of their own, IMO

7. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I found the 40mm/1.4 gorgeous on the a6000. It was a bit less exciting on the a7 for some reason. It was pretty soft across most of the frame, and needed to be stopped to 2.2

If I had an a7 again, I would really look at the FE35/2.8, which is pretty good wide open, compact, full AF, and no more expensive when purchased used than an M lens + quality adapter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks! I gave the FE35/2.8 serious consideration. For it's size is it almost perfect for the A 7II. I passed because I want to try manual focus.

9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Sorry. Missed that part.

The other thing about the CV40 is it best uses the thumb-type of MF. It takes some getting used to.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you like manual focus and you're prepared to pay for a Voigtländer 1.4/40 + quality adapter, you might also consider a used Loxia 2/35: manual focus, no adapter needed, EXIF data available, exquisite handling and great image quality if you don't mind a little veiling flare wide-open (which you can use to your advantage for a dreamy look). Have to add I'm totally biased when it comes to Loxia's, I just love 'em despite only having the two that are considered the weakest in the line-up (2/35 and 2/50).

11. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I know your feelings about Loxia, Ad! Like you, I think they are fantastic. I've been looking to a used Loxia 35 with no success and that led me to looking at the Voightlander 35 which is about $500 less than the Loxia, I think. I'll continue my research and look so perhaps a used Loxia may appear.

12. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Differences between Metadata and EXIF:

Metadata - what is meta data and exif - article

The Voigtlander and Zeiss E mount lenses are no different from AF E mount lenses, except for the fact that they are manual focus. All lens data will be transferred to your images. Most manual focus lenses of other mounts will not transfer data to images unless it has a built-in CPU like Canon Voigtlander lenses and having the appropriate adapter to read the data.

The M mount lenses are optimized for the Leica M mount and as such are not fully optimized for Sony sensors (regarding sensor glass thickness, corner optimization, etc.). So unless you plan on adapting to other camera systems or need auto focus via the Techart Pro adapter, I'd probably go for the native Voigtlander or Zeiss MF lenses. :) 

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  13. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    I have the opposite impression of the 40mm 1.4 Nokton. I love it on my A7 II, but I found it less interesting mounted on a Sony APS-C camera. I mainly shoot the lens at f/2 and only shoot it wide open in low light where it creates more of an atmospheric glow on the 24mp A7 sensor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    As much as I enjoy legacy lenses, I have recently started using manual focus on emount. I am surprised at how much I find it preferable - you get EXIF data, no worries about IBIS focal length settings, and integration with built-in features like focus assist, all good things in my mind. I have been thinking for some months about rebuilding my lens kit, and I think I will go with largely CV e-mounts. I have the CV65/f2 now and will likely eventually grab the 40/1.2 and I am eagerly waiting for the 110mm APO macro.

As many good points have been made, there are pluses and minuses both ways, and it largely comes down to your shooting preferences and requirements, and the differences in rendering of course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.