Showcase Voigtlander Heliar 40mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by chalkdust, Feb 25, 2016.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    The wonderful Nokton 40mm f/1.4 gets much well deserved attention. But there is a smaller 40mm lens available only for E Mount, the Heliar 40mm f/2.8. This is an odd lens in several ways, the first being its requirement of the M mount close focus adapter for focusing.

I have been so impressed with michaelj's beautiful work with the Nokton 40mm that I have decided to begin using my little Heliar 40mm more and sharing images from it.

These are from the front garden this morning, both at f/2.8 with a little cropping of some extraneous stuff. DSC00222. DSC00225.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Thank you Bert. I look forward to your close focus images with the adapter. Is it the VME? If I get another CV lens It was on the list as an accessory to enable a closer focus.

3. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Yes, the close focus adapter I use is the VME from Voigtlander. It is beautifully made. The focus ring of mine is perfectly stiff enough to hold its position yet it is easily responsive to fine adjustment. The ring turns about 180 degrees between minimum and maximum focus distance.

It is a little pricey, as adapters go, but it enables three options for me: 1) this 40mm Heliar (which is a unique aspherical classic Heliar), 2) close focus for any M mount lens (which I enjoy for my Sonnar 50 1.5 M mount), and 3) a focus helicoid for two 50mm Nikon mount range finder lenses (a 50mm f/3.5 Heliar and a 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar) used with another Voigtlander adapter.

From my experience using this adapter on the Sonnar M mount, I am sure you will enjoy it with your 40mm Nokton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Juneau Alaska
    Sony A7ii and Voigtlander 40mm 2.8 Heliar
    14JU052.JPG