1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Voigtlander Color Skopar 25mm f/4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by WoodWorks, Feb 2, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks to Bimjo's irresistible sales job on rangefinder lenses, when I found an affordable Voigtlander 25 online, I felt compelled (entirely against my will, I assure you) to buy it. And in order to familiarize myself with it, I left all my other lenses at home on a recent trip to San Francisco. Here's what I managed to do with it:

_DSC0544. _DSC0515. _DSC0519. _DSC0522. _DSC0527. _DSC0531. _DSC0539.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Dang...nothing wrong with that lens or those shots. Great series and darn you for making me look at yet another lens to purchase...this place (TalkNEX) is going to bankrupt me.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey, those look familiar! lol! Very nice, really like the cable car shot.

I've been thinking that this lens might make a good one lens walk-around deal for street shooting, not only for the focal length, bit for the click stops on the focus ring. That would make it easier to just swing it up and shoot and not worry about focus.

I have a really hard time telling the pics from these lenses apart, they all draw the same way. I'd decided not to get one of these, now I may have to change my mind.

Gee Dave, you took the first step- one down, only half a dozen to go! :p

4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Nice set of pics. Another lens to put on my "watch for" list. Glad you didn't get run over when taking the first pic.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Great shots from SF!

I always want to check the 21mm-25mm lenses due to their size as I have CV 12-35-50-75mm lenses. Maybe one day...

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Great shots WoodWorks. Which NEX are you using it on?

7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, the 25mm is right in my focal length comfort zone. I just never could find that same ease with the Sigma 30mm, though I know it's a very popular lens. It just felt too tight to me. So when Deadbear77 was kind enough to take the Sigma off of my hands, I found myself with sufficient funds for this one. I won't be picking up any of the other Voigtlanders any time soon. But that Oly Pen F 38mm f/1.8 looks to be an excellent companion to this lens, and may not be beyond my means.

@ChangshaNotes: It's the NEX-6.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    amazing street shots

9. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Very nice stuff. Looking forward to more.

10. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Yes, The City!

11. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Great pics! The first and the last are my favorites. I love those little CV lenses, in my opinion they all render wonderfully.

Not that it matters at all on the NEX, but I wish they made the thread mount 25mm rangefinder coupled like the 21, 28 and 35.

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My wife and I took a little road trip down into northern California today, stopping off at McArthur-Burney Falls State Park. It's a remarkable place, with water pouring out of the porous volcanic rock. And the lens certainly didn't let me down.

Nex-6, ISO 100, f/11, 1/3 sec. (3-stop ND filter)

8593408057_9abdc442e4_b.
    Burney Falls by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Attached Files:

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, that's a super shot!

14. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

I'm always fascinated with these waterfall shots :thumbup:

15. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Well done. Nicely exposed.

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I had a LTM-NEX adapter lying around here from the days when I still had a bunch of manual legacy lenses, so in a moment of weakness I bid and won an auction for a 25mm Color Skopar on ebay. I had no idea how well it would work on my A7II, but once I mounted it and took some test shots, I was appalled at how bad it was.

DSC03066.
    f/4

DSC03068.
    f/8

As you can see, it was excruciatingly bad at f/4, and still fairly awful and decentered at f/8. Needless to say, it's already on its way back to the seller in Japan for a refund. But I'm wondering now if I should even bother bidding on another. My previous experience with this lens on my old NEX-6 was positive, but I sold it along with the camera when I moved to FF. I was hoping to find a small, wide-ish prime to carry around with my 35, 55, and 85 in a little shoulder bag. And I don't know of any other wide lenses that are both good and tiny. I know there's the Olympus 21 f/3.5, but the Olympus-NEX adapters pretty much wipe out the size advantage of that lens. So whaddyathink? Does the 25mm Color Skopar just suck on the A7 line?

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

The CV 21 and 35mm f/4's are poor with lots of smearing on the OEM sensor. Decentering aside, you'd need a Kolari mod to get it to looking even decent.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I know the Voigtlander 21 is a bridge too far for the A7s, but the 35 as well, eh? I guess that confirms my negative experience with the 25. Bummer. Here's hoping Voigtlander comes up with a Mark III version of something longer than their new 15mm Heliar some day.

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Disappointing no doubt. Strangely, these lenses worked well on film. Then again, we weren't quite so discerning when the negative was an inch by an inch-and-a-half vs. however big your monitor is.

20. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Oops! I meant to type "25" not "35". I've never seen any results for the 35. I've wondered it myself! I had one my on E-M5 several years ago. Lot's of smearing there, but that's a much thicker cover glass. I may need to do some googling. There's got to be someone who has tried it somewhere.