Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar 110mm/f2.5

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I envy you, firemist. I have intense GAS for this lens right now. I've even considered selling the 65mm to fund it, but that would leave me with a really large gap in focal lengths (CV40 to CV110, ouch). And I love the 65mm which is as superb, as the 110mm appears to be. Oh the agony.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Bob,

I'm ok with the gap between 40 and 110; I can use my zoom (28~75) or simply set the camera in crop mode to get 60.

I'll try and shoot some macro shots this weekend and post those as well.

Peter

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Firemist, please torture us with plenty of images from the 110. I decided to fill in the long focal length end of my prime lenses. So i narrowed it down to the 100mm APO-Lanthar or the 135mm APO-Sonnar (Batis) lenses. I decided on the 135mm, figuring that auto focus and optical image stabilization might come in handy in a long lens. But it was a very close call. This 110mm lens of yours should serve you very well!! I look forward to seeing images that call into question my decision.:)

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Yes, conventional wisdom is that AF is desirable for a telephoto lens. But hey..

The last two are screenshots at 100% ~ 200%

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
Like chalkdust I am trying to get some longer focal lengths as part of my lens reorg. I would use it some for telephoto landscapes and such. I anticipate using it a lot more for macro or close-up work and would likely be manual focus in those situations anyway.

I had also considered the Sony 90mm macro, which by all accounts is a fine lens and has autofocus and features this one does not, and is actually slightly cheaper. But I have not been fond of the ergonomoics of the few Sony lenses I have handled. I have grown very fond of my Voigtlanders (40/1.2 and 65/2) in build, handling, and the images I get. I also needed a sibling for the Voigtlander that gets left in the bag when the other one is mounted on the camera. :rolleyes-20:

It's really not a matter of if I should buy it but when. The Tamron 28-75mm now for upcoming family events and get the 110mm later (but springtime!), or vice-versa? Hmmmm.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
LR (Classic CC) V8.2.1 has some interesting things going on with this lens...when focused at infinity or at any "non-macro" distance, LR applies a "built-in" lens profile, but at close range, it does not. And, the 110mm does not appear on the list of lenses to choose from. That makes me question, what profile is LR using anyway? In reality, the lens is so well corrected none is needed, but I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else has observed (or read about) this. [I am not on DPReview]

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
Not sure about the LR Classic issue, but... a used 'mint' copy of the lens came up at cameraquest.com at a really good price and I caved. I purchased my Voigtlander 65mm used from the same place - he is the west coast authorized Voigtlander dealer - and it was like brand new. So the 110mm is in transit and I cannot wait until I get it in my hands, just in time for spring flowers and assorted small creatures.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Bob,

Congrats. I bought mine from Stephen as well, he and I are well acquainted over the years, lol.

I suppose the LR profile situation is because the lens behaves quite differently when focussed close, compared with focus at a distance. So, Adobe probably just made a profile for distant focus and left it at that.

Peter

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
LR (Classic CC) V8.2.1 has some interesting things going on with this lens...when focused at infinity or at any "non-macro" distance, LR applies a "built-in" lens profile, but at close range, it does not. And, the 110mm does not appear on the list of lenses to choose from. That makes me question, what profile is LR using anyway? In reality, the lens is so well corrected none is needed, but I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else has observed (or read about) this. [I am not on DPReview]
I guess the lens provides lens correction parameters in the raw file; some other native E-mount lenses do this as well, like my FE 4/24-70 and also the Voigtländer Color-Skopar 3.5/21; I picked up a raw sample pic from the latter on dpreview and in Lightroom the Lens Corrections panel looks like this:

And this shows up when I click the i in the lower left corner:

The slightly disconcerting thing is that you cannot prevent Lightroom (or Camera Raw) from using this built-in profile.

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Yep
First at long distance;

second at macro distance (I tried using the 65mm profile manually, but turned it off)

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
I've had the lens for a few days now, but have hardly had time for more than a few test shots, two of them here.

These are handheld and lightly edited in Capture One. So not so much any sort of objective presentation (no pun intended), more like "what you might be able to get with some luck".

Latest posts

Top Bottom