1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander announces 3 UWA lenses for E-mount (FF)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by quezra, Oct 9, 2015.

1. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/offi...-wide-angle-native-full-frame-e-mount-lenses/

heliar-700x333.

The 10mm sounds delicious. The fixed lens hoods not so much. What's most interesting is that it shows you how their priorities have shifted that they buried the announcement for the M-mount 10/5.6 inside an E-mount press release. Clearly E-mount has been as good for (Cosina) Voigtlander as everyone suspected it is (I love my little 35/1.4).

My big questions are (1) have they improved the corner performance for the E-mount versions, and (2) does this mean they're relaunching the whole of the M-mount line in E-mount?

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    The announcement mentions these lenses supplying the electronic information (aperture, and focus distance, and "changing focus") for the camera to use. It does not mention any optical stabilization (which does not bother me). Those are some major design changes for these lenses from the current M mount models.

I am not a good ultra-wide guy (photographically speaking) but I am glad to see the company that makes several of my favorite lenses stepping into the E mount market.

3. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Good to see another company joining the party. Corner performance had already been fix with the 15mm version 3 and the 10mm is all new so should be fine. Interesting to see if they extend the line to some of the other M mount lenses. Some of the M mount lens have very poor minimum focal distance. This was resolved by use of the close focus adaptor. That won't be possible with a direct E mount so hope they will be more then just the M mount with built in adaptor like Samyang have done with some of their lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Very good to see Voigtlander joining in. Perhaps now Zeiss will wake up and release a couple more Loxias:)

Whichever comes out first with a very good 21mm - 24mm manual focus FE lens will get my money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    That's a really good point that I hadn't thought about. I wonder, with the same lens adapted for the longer flange distance, can't E-mount versions simply be allowed to twist further to get the same effect? The biggest risk is some of those lenses that extend beyond the mount touching the sensor plane (a serious concern but easy to prevent in the design specs) or (less seriously) getting so oblique an angle as to make vignetting and CA overwhelming.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Corners have never been bad on the 12mm. It's primary weakness has always been vignettng (both on film and digital) and to some extent, lower sharpness for high frequency details (e.g. tree branches at infinity).

But yes, I'm also wondering if they're thinking about launching the entire M line for FE mount.

7. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Let's hope so but with better MFD. They've clearly started with the right lenses since ultra-wides are really lacking—and they don't have a large stable of (fast) telephoto lenses which are the other weak spot. The 10mm looks interesting but so wide as to be difficult to use.

8. MAubrey

Yeah, I'm struggling to know what I would do with 10mm.

I've never been too concerned about the MFD on the 12mm though. Even at f/5.6, the the hyperfocal distance is less than three feet and it's MFD is .3m and that gives you a near limit of .23m, which isn't bad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I have the 15mm (ver. I) and I felt the same way until I got a close focus adapter. Totally changed the way I shoot with the lens. I'd love a native lens (MF is actually better for ultra wides I think) but I wouldn't want to give up the near macro abilities.

EDIT: I need a wealthy friend to buy the 10mm so I can "borrow" it ;-) but I don't think it would ever be a daily driver for me. 15mm is wide enough (for me).

@quezra@quezra close focusing moves the lens elements the other way—farther from the sensor. So if the helicoid is the same the MFD should be the same. If they helicoid is bigger (i.e. the elements can move farther out) the MFD should decrease. I've found corners improve a lot by focusing as close as I can with the CV15mm and using the aperture to get the rest of the shot into "acceptable" sharpness.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sounds like a nice alternative to Zeiss' Loxia line, starting from the ultra-wide end. I look forward to seeing how they perform, and hopefully they'll expand the line to 35mm, 50mm and beyond.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. southy

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I'm another that wouldn't/couldn't use the 10mm or even the 12mm. I have the 15mm and thats as wide as I need or even want to go for outdoor landscapes. 10 and 12 maybe useful for architectural interiors and the like though.

The lens I am interested in and was planning on getting is the 40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic. With a MFD of 0.7 I will want the close focus adaptor. It will be interesting to see if E mount gets new designs like the 4/3 lenses did. Either way E mount is really starting to make its mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's really great, lenses with a native E-mount transferring the EXIF data, it means I can make lens profiles that will be applied automatically. I don't mind manual focussing with wide-angle, I do it a lot in fact with my FE 16-35mm. If a good 21mm with native E-mount becomes available I might consider to part with the FE 16-35mm.

13. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    what about colorshift?

14. Senya

Senya TalkEmount Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Minsk, Belarus
    I like 12mm version.
    Shot must be from Leica
    2B-vQY4qWFw.

• Like Like x 4
  15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's a supershot, 12mm and all!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MAubrey

Like a version of the 21mm f/1.8 designed for the Sony sensor stack!

• Like Like x 1
  17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    To be honest, I'd even be happy with a 1:5.6 21mm for landscape work, I mostly stop down to f/8 or f/11 anyway for the things I do with a WA lens.

18. southy

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Voigtlander do a 21mm f4 that is tiny in size but suffers the magenta cast as the earlier 15mm did. If they could update that lens to resolve that issue that would be another winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MAubrey

I was simply thinking about what already existed. And the 21mm f/1.8 is a much sharper lens than the tiny 21mm f/4 pancake.

20. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I wish they would be more clear about what the future releases/pnans are, but I guess they chose the wide side where there is no competition and the lenses are working even with a M adapter... Cosina also produces the Zeiss lenses, so maybe they didn't want to kill Loxia 21mm 2.8 / Loxia 35mm 2 sales adapting the CV 21mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.7 lenses to Sony. Zeiss just released the Milvus line too that might limit Cosina's production...