Showcase Voigtlander 65mm Macro APO-Lanthar F2

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by chalkdust, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    f/5.6
    weed.

f/2.0
    leaf.

f/2.0
    twig.

f/5.6
    phys_office_2.

f/3.2
    trunk.

• Like Like x 5
  2. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    CA seems to me to be well controlled:
    f/3.2
    branch_against_sky.

out of focus in front:
    f/4.0
    entrance_water.

out of focus behind
    f/2.8
    entrance_flowers.

• Like Like x 10
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The bokeh looks a bit "bubbly" in that last shot. For me that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially not seeing the nice round shapes, but the bokeh police will disapprove I'm sure :).

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    How can anyone not like bubble bokeh?! ;)
    Impressive lens! The APO glass is clearly evident, very clean edges indeed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Bubble tea, bubble bath, Tiny Bubbles In My Wine... Although I see a bit of bubble bokeh in the last image, in general, I do not think this is a very bubbly lens - at least not that a person could count on getting bubble bokeh. The clean edges are fairly dependable though. The only color fringe I have found is in image #3 of the first set where a slightly out of focus parts of the twig cross the white sky background, there are a few pixels of red or redish blue.

I am really enjoying this focal length, a tight normal. It is not for showing the big picture, but it works well for showing "look at this interesting thing I noticed." And having the very close focus ability works beautifully with the "interesting thing" style of photography.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Like 'em.

Use it and enjoy

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I agree with Dave. If one of these fell into my bag I wouldn't worry about bokeh or CA, I'd just use it.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Me neither. Longitudinal CA, better known as "bokeh fringing", usually disappears at smaller apertures which I usually revert to anyway when doing close-up work; I often end up somewhere between f/8 and f/16. Having seen the test shots, I don't think this lens deservers the APO designation. Personally I wouldn't go for this lens for a number of reasons: I don't need f/2 for close-ups, it's heavy and large, I'd rather have a longer focal length like 100mm and I'd prefer a slower lens without CA. F/5.6 is plenty fast for me in close-up, most of my lenses are somewhere between f/3.5 and f/5.6. I use the term "close-up" instead of "macro" because purists insist that macro means 1:1 (life-size) reproduction ratio or larger.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I must be getting old and lazy(er) as the size is daunting, to me at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    The images here and elsewhere look pretty good to me, enough that I think it may be quite a while before used copies become available.

13. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    A few from yesterday's morning walk...
    All of these are Sony A7ii + CV65
    All shot at f/5.6
    All are presented uncropped.

DSC04330_HDR.

DSC04335_HDR.

DSC04336_HDR.

DSC04343_HDR.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Wonderful pics Bert :2thumbs:.

I feel this GAS ailment heading my way now :(.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I am finding some interesting comparisons on various other boards comparing this lens to some very fine optics. The consensus seems to be very positive for this 65mm APO-Lanthar. I only have subjective, anecdotal data to share. I feel very comfortable with this focal length, I think because I spent so much time using 50mm on a 1.3 crop size sensor. So this field of view is perfect for me. Secondly, I prefer manual focus over auto focus. In my hands, autofocus means "focus on something." Third, I have no other very close focus lenses and I am interested in trying that kind of photography. So I had three reasons to get this lens even if the optics turned out to be just good. I think this will become my standard lens. My other lenses will be used for special situations. This one lens gives me so many possibilities to photograph the interesting things in my life.

Its size and weight are not a problem for me at all. I am becoming very accustomed to its dimensions.

However, I think many people will not like the 65mm field of view. And many will not be comfortable with manual focus. This lens is not a good tool for those people. I am finding really nothing to complain about with it. But that is only my subjective opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think I know exactly what you mean, Bert. Too many times I get all wrapped up in "what is the subject?" and all that, and miss seeing what I'm looking at. The three manual focus lenses I use give me a reason to stop and take a breath before I go clicking the shutter aimlessly.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I'm with you Bert! That's why I am enjoying older manual focus lenses so much. It really does forces you to slow down to think about what you're composing and is beneficial to (Oh, look...a squirrel!) those of us with a bit of ADD. :)

One lens on the other end of the scale that I would recommend for close up fun, is the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 Close Focus, made by Komine. The focusing distance is minimal, sharpness, color, bokeh, and distortion are excellent, and a nice complement focal length to the 65mm for a wider close up. Can still be had for the price of a large one topping pizza too! ;)
    And it's so small, it'll fit in your pocket.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Some cloudy day shots. Simple ARW to JPG, "uncooked"
    F/4.0
    DSC04378_HDR.

long distance, f/4.0:
    DSC04379_HDR.

indication of resolution, same image:
    Napkin.

raindrops on hood, f/2.0 trying to find LoCA. To my eye, if LoCA is there, it is not prominent.
    DSC04386_HDR.

• Like Like x 6
  19. chalkdust

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    Still enjoying the way it draws, though I have not gotten out much lately...
    A7ii + Voigtlander 65mm APO-Lanthar Macro F2 @ f/5.6
    DSC04437_basic.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 4