1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander 65mm f2 macro for [F]E mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Fergus, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Voigtlander may have a new macro lens coming for our Sonys.

Spec sheet here. It says 'e-mount' not 'fe' but it does mention full-frame coverage.

It's not a lens I'd particularly be buying but it's certainly encouraging to see so many manufacturers offering e-mount lenses.

Cheers...
    Fergus

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    The lens appears to have a concave front element. Any ideas on this? It does seem unique.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sony has one in the 35mm, and Canon had a concave front element on one of their old FD lenses. Been done before.

4. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Does it achieve anything? Is there a benefit to this design?

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Looks cool? :rolleyes:
    Sony's FE55 also has a concave front element.
    Probably just a coincidence but I've had all 3 mentioned concave front lenses and they're all pretty good.
    The Voigtlander looks interesting and I might indeed have a use for a good modern macro of this length. I'll be very interested to learn more about how it renders and handles.

6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    It works a bit like the front of our IC3 trains, trapping air making a slight parabolic airlens protruding from the front at high speed. In case of IC3 that should minimize power consumption and in this case it turns the lens into a highperforming tele with focallenght proportional to speed. :laugh1:
    :sorry:
    65mm :thumbup: that voigtländer might be what i have been lusting for for so long. I hope I can afford it. It's really good to see third party manufacturers turn out macro lenses

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    Now, if they remake the 120 f4 Apo-Lanthar, that would be something:)
    P.S. There is no FE mount, it is E mount. Same mount for APSC and FF formats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    My favorite focal length on my Leica M8.2 is 50mm. With the 1.3 crop factor of the M8.2, that gives a field of view nearly identical to this lens on a full frame Sony.

Also, I am a fan of Voigtlander lenses. They do not have the reputation of Zeiss of Leica - or the price of Zeiss or Leica. But they have never ruined any shot for me. (And, honestly, it was Voigtlander that rescued me from point and shoot.)

There is certainly no need for 65mm for me but I will be keeping an eye this one anyway. It could become a favorite, especially for its minimum focus distance.

9. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Some pics have appeared online. It would look HUGE on my NEX. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    me thinkst itd look huge anywhere on anything! holy cow, is that 85mm filter ring?! if so its bigger than the 120 lanthar! for many that'll be the end of the discussion.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. JMM

JMM TalkEmount Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    John
    Also beware. That isnt a true macro lens. It only does 1:2, so you are quite limited in terms of close-ups.

12. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    Luckily for me for most new lenses there is a delay between announcement and delivery. Usually my must-have-it-itis attack has passed by then.

13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Yep thats definitely a dealbreaker. It does one good thing though. It makes the 90mm Sony look interesting :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    It might be an optical illusion - the spec sheet gives 67mm as the filter size.

15. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    8 like a 6, ok; 5 like a 7, i dont think so. so either the above pic or the spec sheet you reference is incorrect.

16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The 65mm is the FL, not the filter size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I think the "optical illusion" would be seeing what looks like 85mm as actually 65mm. Right beside max aperture would be a pretty common place for focal length. Also multiple sites are listing filter size at 67mm, and I believe the link is to a Voigtlander web site.

18. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    From the spec sheet linked in the first post:

2eqctmv.

It sure looks bigger in the pics than 67mm though.