Showcase Voigtlander 50mm APO-Lanthar F2

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Yes, it is a very good lens. You can read about various places. My opinion is that it delivers particularly nuanced images preserving subtle variations in color and intensity. The colors it gives are accurate to my eye and taste. An interesting feature is round aperture at f/2.0 to f/2.8 and sided aperture (good for sunstars) at smaller apertures. Another interesting feature is the option of click-y or click-less aperture ring without removing the lens from the camera.

The lens is MUCH smaller than its 65mm macro brother, but the 50mm does not do macro. At close focus, this example shows the rounded f/2.0 bokeh balls and illustrates some of the degree of cat eye away from the center.

Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Here is an outdoor example at f/2.0 of a water fountain.

The sun was not cooperating with me on this day, but I find the colors here are exactly right. And yes, it is windy enough here to blow the hair and skirt on a statue.

The colors and textures here are what I want the to be and are as natural as I remember them.

I do not remember if I did a little post processing on the wine glass. But the others are utterly untouched except for resizing for web-based sharing.

This lens will make my 65mm APO-Lanthar sit on the shelf and be used only for macro work. I see no reason to carry the 65mm one anymore.

Yep, looks great. Your post doesn't help in fending off the thought of replacing my Zeiss Loxia 2/50 by this Voigtländer 2/50. I'd be interested to see how the Voigtländer 2/50 performs closer-up with extension tubes, haven't seen any sample images online thus far.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ad, I recall some small discussion about using extension tubes with the 50 AL over at Fred Miranda, and I recall that it was positive. But I do not recall any image examples.

Here are a few more examples that I think give some idea about bokeh and skin tones and somewhat challenging contrast. These are not beautiful images, but I think they are illustrative.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I am very fond of my CV 65/110 APO Lanthars. Personally though I am not a fan of 50mm - always seems a little too long or a little too short for what I want to capture. That is a very individual thing of course, and your photos confirm this is another great lens from Voigtlander. Congrats on your purchase.

Ad, I recall some small discussion about using extension tubes with the 50 AL over at Fred Miranda, and I recall that it was positive. But I do not recall any image examples.
Checked that out on FM, the lens looks to be working quite well with extension tubes, despite the fact that floating focusing cannot be optimal when an extension tube is used. Only "problem" is that I don't use a 50mm enough to spend € 1000 on, the Loxia 2/50 is hardly ever in my bag and when it is, I don't use it often.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My pet peeve is not seeing a picture of said lens mounted on a camera. :frown:
But I guess that's just me.
Face it guys, sadly, I'm more a gearhead than photographer.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Here ya go, AlwaysOnAuto (not my image, lens, or camera). :biggrin:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Always, here are some images of the me 50 AL on my A7m2 (taken with my A7m3 and my 65 AL).
Without hood:

With hood:

From the top as you would normally see it, with hood. The front element is not recessed enough to use it without a hood in my opinion.

Always, here are some images of the me 50 AL on my A7m2 (taken with my A7m3 and my 65 AL).
Without hood:
View attachment 108861
View attachment 108862
With hood:
View attachment 108863

From the top as you would normally see it, with hood. The front element is not recessed enough to use it without a hood in my opinion.
View attachment 108864
Ad, in the real world, the white focus index is top dead center.
Yeah, saw it in your pictures. Deleted my post because it's irrelevant now.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
There has been some discussion elsewhere about the "range" on the infinity. On mine, infinity focus happens at the left side of that range, in the middle of the infinity symbol. So infinity focus at normal temperatures for me is not a hard stop. This doesn't bother me, it is merely an observation.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I've heard the same about the infinity/hard stop, on this and other CV lenses. Perfect focus is a tad short on my 65mm; the 40mm is at the hard stop once aperture is hits 4.0 or higher/smaller. Otherwise it is just a little short. It never bothers me, either. I'd rather have a little wriggle room than the possibility of not being able to reach infinity focus at some weather extreme, which we have a lot of here (the 40mm is fine though).

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
Two more images, this time near minimum focus distance. The first is at f/2.0. There is a bit of cat eye shape in the bright distance bits. The second is at f/4.0. It shows that the technically non-circular aperture does not produce decidedly polygonal bokeh in natural settings. Moreover, the cat eyes disappear nicely as expected.

Oh one more interesting bit of information is that the lens cap diameter is different with the hood than without it. Two different lens caps come with the lens. Since I leave the hood on, I leave the other (larger) cap on the shelf at home. It seems odd to me that they designed the hood that way, but there it is.

I enjoy the clarity and detail from this lens.

I've heard the same about the infinity/hard stop, on this and other CV lenses. Perfect focus is a tad short on my 65mm; the 40mm is at the hard stop once aperture is hits 4.0 or higher/smaller. Otherwise it is just a little short. It never bothers me, either. I'd rather have a little wriggle room than the possibility of not being able to reach infinity focus at some weather extreme, which we have a lot of here (the 40mm is fine though).
I agree, I prefer that a lens can be focused past the point of infinity focus. The best implementation IMHO is the way this Lanthar 2/50 works: an infinity indication and a little extra focus travel past that mark. My Voigtländer 1.2/40 wasn't able to reach critical infinity focus at f/8 on my A7Rm2, it was a very little bit off; on the A7Rm4 it gets there, I think, but only just. All my Zeiss Loxia lenses have a hard stop at the infinity mark, but infinity focus is attained a little bit before the hard stop; fine by me, but the markings are slightly incorrect that way.

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
A few more examples, necessarily close to home (during shelter in place for COVID-19). A golden hour bunch of pansies, a budding mum, and a sunset:

Latest posts

Top Bottom