Showcase Voigtlander 15mm E mount

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Kiwi Paul, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I bought this lens today to complete my prime lens collection.
    Lovely lens, solid construction, excellent IQ and lovely to use. Same size etc as the CV10.

35265478172_021f290a4e_b.

• Like Like x 10
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :laugh::laugh1::rofl::p

Nice shot though.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I had a gap between 10 and 28 so 15....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. chonbhoy

chonbhoy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2017
    Really nice and the extreme corners hold up pretty well but its trees lol. How does it fair at f4.5 if you don't mind me asking?

5. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The Voiglander lenses 10, 12 and 15mm are all of the same construction and quality, manual focus and aperture. They are excellent from wide open to stopped down, the trick is getting the focus right. They have an aperture / focus scale on the lens so you can see for a given aperture at a given focus setting what the focus range will be, as long as you get that right they are sharp though out.
    They are not cheap lenses though.
    But for most shots you stop them down as generally you want max DOF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    • 10mm / F 5,6 Hyper Wide Heliar
    • 12mm / F 5,6 Ultra Wide Heliar III
    • 15mm / F 4,5 Super Wide Heliar III
    Focusing using a distance scale on the lens is what I'm use to in the past/present but thanks for the informative response.
    Are there any short comings when comparing the 10mm and 15mm? There must be some?

7. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I'm not sure what you mean, they both have the same IQ but the 10mm is a hyper wide lens and the 15mm is a very wide lens. I have them both because the 10mm will post crop up to 15mm equiv with a resolution of about 18Mp any more and the resolution drops off quickly, the 15mm can be post cropped to about 23mm with 18Mp resolution when using the A7R2.
    The 10mm is an insanely wide rectilinear lens, I love using wide lenses but the 10mm even pushes my limits, but there is no way I'd part with it, it really brings out creativity but I like to use it in such a way that it's not obvious I've used such a wide lens, all part of the challenge and fun of it.
    I had the 12mm II M mount used with a converter it was excellent too but I wanted the 10mm for the hyper wide experience, it's just my thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    I get that its your thing and thats cool and it actually helps me get my head around how crazy that FOV must be, not something I'm used to, 18mm is the widest I've ever gone (non fish-eye). What i meant was the performance between them when it comes to vignetting, coma, flare resistance etc, I've read the reviews but a second opinion from someone that has purchased them both is always good to know. P.S. Particularly the image performance of the 15mm @ f4.5, I know i wouldn't use that aperture for landscapes over a large area with lots of depth in the frame etc but from an astrophotography POV how it performs wide open is good to know even though it is relatively slow for that kind of work.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  9. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    The vignetting is auto corrected in LR even in RAW so I have no idea what the uncorrected vignetting is like, I've just got the 15mm lens today so not had a chance to test it fully but to be honest I use it as a landscape / special effects lens and I'm not really concerned about it's wide open performance as I'll always be stopping down to get the dof I want but I'd have no hesitation using it wide open I'm sure the IQ would still be excellent. I'll be out with it later today so I'll try a few wide open shots if I can find the right composition and post on here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    Cheers Paul appreciate it.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Congrats Paul! Great photo :)

12. mstphoto

mstphoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 26, 2016
    Aberdeen, NE Scotland
    Mike Stephen
    Looks good Paul :2thumbs:

13. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    FYI, here's a shot taken with the CV10 with the A7R2 in crop mode so effectively 15mm fov, it produces lovely star bursts.

32429224085_a57f1b5fc6_b.

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    That's a nice burst! Nice FOV and photo too. The horizon looks a fraction of a degree out or is that due to distortion or just me?

15. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Nice photo Paul. Why did you shoot it in the Crop Mode?

16. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Thanks,
    Because 10mm was too wide so I switched to crop mode to check the composition, the next prime I had with me was the 28mm but too long.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I dunno, just you nit picking lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. chonbhoy

Jun 19, 2017
    I do apologise, i don't mean no harm.

19. Kiwi Paul

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    No problem Chonbhoy, I was only jesting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf

I'm trying to pick up tips for using my own 10/5.6.......... couldn't you have just shot in full frame and cropped it in post processing? Or would that not have the same result?