1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar (Full Frame)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by MAubrey, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I had some fun with this lens in the snow today. It's a pleasure to shoot with. There still is some color shift, but its not noticeable in the vast majority of photos and for the rest, it can certainly be corrected with Lightroom's flat field plugin.

Also, despite the fact that the DOF is so huge with the lens, focusing is still quite difficult. Focus peaking isn't as useful; magnified view is an essential.

_DSC1117.jpg

_DSC1118.jpg

_DSC1120.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  2. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    Nice performance. You have a truly travel-friendly ultra-wide RF lens.

I'd imagine focus to be a non-issue at that focal length, especially when wide-open your hyperfocal distance is a paltry 3 feet. You can practically pre-focus at 3 feet and never touch the focus ring again. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

That's true, but I'm finding that four or five feet is more safe. DOF scapes are determined on the basis of particular magnification of the final image. Pixel level on this 24MP sharpness assumes a magnification well beyond that, so that needs to be taken account. It's just a learning curve though. I'm getting it now. I was simply taken aback when I was looking at my shots in LR after taking them.

When I'm in the coastal mountains of British Columbia this summer, this lens is going to get a nice work out!

I also have the lens on an M-mount focusing helicoid, which at full extension the plane of focus is millimeters from the front element. That can make for some crazy shots if you can find a subject for it:

_DSC1087.jpg

As you can see, the lens certainly isn't designed for sharpness at this focusing distance... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I pretty much leave mine set at 2 meters and roll with it. It may perform differently on FF though. ;)

5. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    This looks more like you exceeded the minimum focusing distance on this lens of 0.3m (12 inches).

6. MAubrey

7. suntoryjim

May 17, 2013
    Ah, yes...I missed that part. I contemplated getting one of hawk's for my CV 28 F2, but it didn't make much sense to me for a wide-angle lens that I was using primarily for landscape.

Can you try shooting something stopped-down at F16 on a tripod with the helicoid set to max and the subject centered in the frame?

8. MAubrey

That makes sense. I originally got mine for the 35mm f/1.2, which makes it more useable for portraits. I probably wouldn't have if I had the version II which focuses to .5m rather than .7m.

I'll see about giving that a try in a day or two.

9. MAubrey

I had a beautiful afternoon today and brought this lens out with me...

_DSC1319.jpg

It's hard to keep your shadow out of the frame...

_DSC1320.jpg

_DSC1321.jpg

This last one was corrected & cropped on the vertical so everything is upright. That reduce the lens to having a 90° diagonal. It's still 14.9MP, though.
    _DSC1324.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That sure looks differnt on FF than it does on APS-C. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Pics aren't working for me...

12. MAubrey

When it comes to shooting with the sun low on the horizon, you have two options...shoot into the sun or have your shadow in the photo.

13205106295_01b13ac70b_o.jpg

13205099665_8d5f2fe87d_o.jpg

13205112065_a1b235dae6_o.jpg
    ...also crazy flare!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    At least it isn't spread all over the frame. ;)

14. MAubrey

Very true!

On another note: the digital level on the A7 is awesome. The photo of the swing set is handheld and I did nothing to correct leveling in Lightroom. Handheld at 12mm and perfectly straight lines up and down.

15. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I'm so tempted by this lens, but a bit worried about performance on the A7r….

16. MAubrey

Maybe Lensrentals.com could help you determine whether your worries are justified.

The 12mm is $50 for five days and the 15mm is only $33. That's not too bad.

17. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Now if only they had an affordable equivalent here in The Netherlands, I'd go for it. Guess I'll wait until I visit some friends in the US again ;)

18. MAubrey

Ah...didn't realize that.

19. MAubrey

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  20. MAubrey

• Like Like x 6