1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical Ultra Wide Heliar

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by serhan, Aug 27, 2011.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I somehow got luck with this lens to find a matching adapter. It is slow but it has low distortion so it makes it nice for landcape/architectural photos. Mostly everything is in focus in f/5.6-8 range that I use. Some of my samples has some corner discolorization which can be corrected but I guess I got lazy. 3n users claim it is now better on corners.

original.

original.

original.

2. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Nice images, serhan. You read complaints about vignetting and color-shift issues with these lenses when mounted on the NEX. Yet, I think the images speak for themselves. These are extremely nice wide-angle lenses for the NEX.

3. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    The lens behaves better with a nex-5n in comparison to nex-5. I bought one of the used nex-5n's from B&H (with 40 shots on it). Here is nex-5n shot without any corner correction:

original.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Very nice photo. This further reinforces my want of a wide angled glass.

5. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Wow. Hm. Sadly, I'm looking to upgrade for the NEX-7 and it seems to do worse than the 5N with ultra-wide glass.

6. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Nex-5 and VC 12mm shots from Cape Cod, MA:

original.

original.

original.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'm a sucker for B&W photos, the second pic really gets to me and I'll have to say that it's one of the most moving B&W pics I have come across, I really am impressed.

Very nicely done mate.

8. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thank you very much mate. It is processed with Silver Efex software.

9. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    The lack of distortion really is amazing. Its probably not a focal length I would use enough plus I'm planning to get the 7 when it becomes widely available . . . and sadly that's a step back.

10. frankmarin

frankmarin TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    What adapter are you using? Great photos!

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a keeper.

12. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It is too bad that nex-7 is a step back for rangefinder lenses. Otherwise it will be an amazing camera for landscapes. VC 12mm has a low distortion which is good for architectural shots.

13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Kipon m39-nex adapter. Thanks.

14. ziggy

ziggy New to TalkEmount

Jan 13, 2012
    Hrm. I just got a NEX-5n with the kit zoom, and I have a Nokton 40mm/1.4 (with Voigtlander adapter).

I'm looking for a wide lens for my 5n (for both photo and video purposes), and debating between the Voigtlander 12mm or 15mm. It seems like there won't be a huge difference in the angle between the 15mm and the Sony kit lens, but I've read conflicting reports about the quality/experience of using the 12mm with the 5n. So I'm stuck. Anyone have some specific advice on this issue? Another downfall of the 12mm is the price and speed...

15. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Ay you said 15mm is too close to Sony 16mm pancake lens. That was one of the reasons that I looked for 12mm. Wider is better for me. Other reason was the test that Sean Reid did on LL and 12mm was behaving better in RD-1 fangefinder camera which has a 1.5 crop Sony sensor:

Epson RD-1 Lens Report

I am using 12mm with 5n and the corner shift is not noticeable on 5n as I posted. You can check the photozone tests also, 12mm sharpness is similar to Sony pancake around f/5.6-8 on Nex-5, not bad for a wider lens:

Sony E 16mm f/2.8 (Sony NEX) - Review / Lens Test Report
    Voigtlander Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II on Sony NEX - Review / Lens Test Report

16. Dan

Dan New to TalkEmount

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm using the Voigtlander 15 on a NEX 5N, but having only gotten them recently have few examples to show. But here is one. The 12mm pics here are impressive.

NEX5N00015.

17. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    I second Pheonix, the B&W photo is really awesome

18. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    stunning photos and like phoenix, I love B & W photos

19. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I may still try the 12 when I get the "7" and just work the files
    with cornerfix......

20. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I enjoy the unusual (impossible) compositions that can be derived from ultra-wide angles, which is why my favourite prime for many years is an ultra-wide. I'm very impressed that none of your photos include your toes! I grasp the incredible amount of optical problems lens designers have to solve within the realms of this focal length territory, not just distortion.

I usually avoid placing people near the edge in ultra-wide compositions because the inherent distortion at this focal length stretches human proportions to uncanny extremes which can be very unappealing. This my friend, is an incredible lens! That man at the lower lefthand corner just blows me away. Yes there's magenta vignetting, but this is an anomaly caused by the angle of incidence of a lens designed to expose film emulsions, not sensor surfaces... so this is not a lens flaw, nor is it a sensor flaw in itself. This magenta cast can be easily fixed in post processing, but the very little amount of distortion is just amazing.

Fantastic shot!! Skillful composition. Wow!

(I like your other photos too)