1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar Flash 285HV

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Deadbear77, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Ordered this off amazon, for my first paid wedding gig in a month. Figured I would try a relatively cheap flash for my 6

I know nothing about flash photography other than the fact I hate it.

I always try to use natural light. Unfortunately the speed and accuracy of the nex autofocus and even the manual shooting of the walk of the bridesmaids and groomsmen will be difficult without it.

So I spent the 80.00 and got it.

It's not a TTL, it fully manual. Not too hard to use. I did just order a diffuser that has not arrived yet.

Here are some quick OOC jpeg with the flash and FL55 1.2 rujaretu.
    yzypy2up. pyvu8ade. 5unapupu.
    8epanyte.

2. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    No TTL? No problem! Looks like you already know how to balance flash and ambient light. Let us know how the wedding gig turns out!

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There is no TTL but there is a photodetector that stops the flash when the sensor has got enough light (you select the power from flash, dial iso to the flash, read the aperture to use and select that aperture on lens). Works really well.

Too bad there are very few flashes that work like that, they are fully manual or TTL.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It seems that there are still replacement feet made for 285. Breaking the foot of 285 was their only weak spot. That flash is probably most used flash ever. Didn't know that it is still manufactured, I think that manufacture started early 70's (but the first model was 283) .

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I hate flash with a passion too, but Kevin these photos seen here are nothing but excellent - well done :thumbup:
    I'm sure you'll do great on that wedding photography ;)