1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Vivitar 70-300mm very loose

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Zanner, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Because I'm new to all of this, I'm not sure how the focus on these old lenses are supposed to be. But I can hold my Vivitar 70-300 mm straight down and the focus will slide right down very fast. It's so loose. And I can't get anything in focus. Is it just a bad lens? If I get a different one, will the focus be tighter do you think?

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    On the 1st part of your issue, I have the same loose focus ring feeling on one of my lenses (specifically MD 24-35). But on the 2nd part of your issue, this "defective" lens of mine performs great and can pretty much nail focus every time easily...I don't know how these two go together/affects focus...

Also, I have an MD Zoom lens (pull/push type) where the zoom ring has this loose feeling and that is indeed very annoying... Thankfully its one of the MD lenses I don't use much :)

3. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I'm assuming you meant zoom creep, as this lens appears to be of the "push-pull" type of zoom. I own a Vivitar 70-210 (bought from B&H still in it's original 1987 box) which doesn't creep in the manner you described.

As a quick fix, you could wrap a wide rubber band (or a Lens Band) so that it overlaps a bit of each half of the lens barrel. This should provide resistance to both the zoom and focus.

4. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I use this for shots of the moon. So when I have it on the tripod and have it pointing up at the moon, it doesn't stay in focus at all. It starts sliding. I tried to fix that by putting a rubber band around it and jamming it up against it as much as I could. But the whole ordeal is just really annoying. I just don't think it should be that loose. Thanks for your input all.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Assuming this is your lens
    http://m.bidorbuy.co.za/item/27607534/Vivitar_MC_70_300mm_Macro_Focusing_Zoom_f4_2_f5_8.html

If so then, you have a push/pull lens.

I had one and the creep was annoying as heck.

If a regular rotating lens, you've got issues