1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vivitar 70-300mm 4.2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Zanner, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Just bought a Vivitar Macro 70-300 mm lens f/4.2-5.8 MC off of ebay for $50. I thought the MC meant it was the Minolta mount (adapter that I have), but I've come to learn that's not the case. It more than likely means "multi coated". Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I have a message into the seller to see if he can tell me what mount it is, but no response so far. I know it's a long shot, but can anyone tell what mount this is by looking at the picture?

Also, I would like to buy a 2x teleconverter (or extender, not sure what you actually call them) to double the zoom. Does anyone have this lens that can tell me exactly what to buy or link me to the exact one? I am new to photography and don't want to muck this up. Although I would need to know what mount first, I know. Thanks in advance for any help.

vivitar.JPG

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    What are the initials on the back of the lens cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I won't know until I have it in my hands, unfortunately. This is the best picture the guy has of it. I just bought it about an hour ago off Ebay ;) I probably won't know until it comes in the mail, which is fine. But I was just wondering if you pros could tell just by looking at the mount itself.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Minolta is MD. Seems a bit muddy on what mount works. Perhaps it was made with multiple mounts or people discussing it don't really know.

MC on Minolta's usually means a later Minolta adaptation:
    "MC - The SR-T 101 launched in 1966 has a lens coupling for full aperture through-the-lens (TTL) metering. A coupling lug protruding from the aperture ring operates the follower needle in the viewfinder, allowing the lens aperture to be set according to the meter reading. The camera has two CdS cells attached to the top of the prism that reads in a center-weighted fashion the brightness off the focusing screen. The later X-1 and XE models, also using the MC lenses, has an aperture-priority automatic exposure mode."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_SR-mount

What I found was another Ebay listing which says it is a Nikon mount.
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-mount-Vivi...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1c3591151f

But then another says PK mount.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vivitar-70-300-mm-1-4-2-5-8-Macro-Focusing-Zoom-Lens-/150895112655

Wiki has it listed, but no Mount. Made by Koori.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitar

Option 1- Buy various adapters until something works, then keep or resale ones that don't.

Option 2- Go to or call a camera store. They should be able to ID the mount.

Option 3- Keep googling, or wait for a more definitive answer.

5. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Well I'm guessing its I nikon mount, for the fact that I have md, mc, fd, fl, pk, cy, and it doesn't look like any of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Yeah I found that it can come in different mounts too, so who the heck knows what I got! I have a PK and Minolta adapter already. So I will just play the waiting game and see when it gets here what I may or may not have to buy. Thank you for your help anyhow.

7. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I think it is too, because he is also selling a Nikon FM2 SLR camera. I looked through all the things he was buying.

I'm buying this Vivitar lens for getting better shots of my songbirds from my patio door and also want to take a shot at photographing the moon to impress my hubby ;) Probably won't work, but it's fun to try. I was looking at mirror lenses at first for the moon shot, but then read that they weren't very good. So I went to this lens. Someone on here has a stunning shot of the moon with this lens and that sold me.

8. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    So I was sitting in my neighbor's driveway (who is just starting out as a portrait photog) and noticed the moon was sitting perfectly above the trees over my house. I asked her if I could borrow her tripod and ran inside and got my nex6 and put the 55-210 lens on it. This is what I got. Not bad for having no idea what I'm doing! Now I'm excited to get this 300mm and see if it's any better.

Moon10.11.13 (1 of 1).

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, not a bad first shot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    It says OM on the cap, so that's Olympus right?

11. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Stick a fairly cheap 2x teleconverter on there and you can get something like this :-

10304537304_fa40c8d522.
    moon by markoneswift, on Flickr

which I took with a 70-210 so you will have a bit more zoom to play with :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Indeed it does, Olympus OM mount. I would have told you that if I'd seen it sooner :)

13. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Your moon shot is good - some tips I would give are :-
    Set manual focus, shutter speed around 1/125 or higher ( the moon moves ), F/8 ish, shoot mono to avoid colour noise.

14. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I couldn't see it either on there. I just got it in the mail yesterday, so that's how I know now. ;) Thank you for your help!

markoneswift - Thank you for the advice. I'm scared about the manual focus, as I could barely see the moon and was worried that it would be a mess. This one was shot with my SEL 55-210, and I had no idea what i was doing. I put it on "M", made sure the ISO was at 100, and played with the shutter speed alot and took alot of pics. This was the best one.
    Mono is a good idea. I'll have to remember that. I am interested to get the adapter for this Vivitar and try the manual focus this weekend. I'll let you know how I do. Just need a clear night now. That's asking a lot during Fall in Wisconsin

15. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    What were your settings for this?
    I tried the settings mentioned above, but I still did something wrong. They came out blurry when close up. The HDR was on auto. Should I turn that off?

16. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    So I bought the wrong 2x extender for this lens. I'm bummed. Can anyone point me to what exact extender I need for this? Provide a link or anything? I'm new to all this and it was only a matter of time before I bought the wrong thing off eBay. Any help would be appreciated.

17. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi mate, many 2x TCs are pretty poor but the Vivitar / Panagor macro focusing one ( which I have ) seems pretty sharp. I've got an old un-branded one too that is awful, so I'm afraid it's 'pot luck'. They are cheap though so why not try a few ?

18. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    and yes, turn off HDR because there's no need for it - there isn't much dynamic range on the moons' surface :)

19. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thank you very much for helping this beginner ;) I will look for the one you have. The one I got was way too small. But it was ten bucks off eBay so no big financial loss. I am going antiquing tomorrow, so maybe I'll find something in the camera sections. If not...back to eBay.