Vivitar 28mm f2.8 FD?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, May 2, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Has anyone had this lens? I am trying to decide if I should look into getting mine fixed. The lens us stuck wise open and I am not sure what to do. I am new with FD mount and Canon in general. I got this lens as part of the "package" when I bought done old Canon gear from a friend. The glass an body of the lens are in excellent shape, so if it is a decent enough lens to drop $30 or so into it, I will take it into my favorite local repair shop.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There were something like 30 models of Vivitar 28mm/2.8 made. What is it's serial number?

Aperture blades stuck wide open -problem is usually caused by helicoid lube running to wrong place. I have cleaned a couple with q-tips and lighter fluid. Pretty easy if the back optical assembly screws out in a single piece.

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    So I needed to look a little closer. It is actually f/2 not f/2.8 (shows you how I need this week to be over!) This is the lens:

6esa5ebu.

Sorry, on my phone and jumping between apps to get serial number will not result in the right number ;-)

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is Kiron made lens and well liked (Kiron lenses tend to suffer from bad helicoid grease btw.) but nothing exceptional and I don't have it myself. I think it is worth repairing. Anyway legacy lens prices are increasing so I think you can get your investment back. Here is a list of different Vivitar 28mm lenses:

http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html

5. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks xXx1!
    This is really helpful information! The only other 28 I have right now is an MD 2.8 that I have been pretty happy with but it would be great to have an additional choice ;-)

I will look into getting it repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have maybe 10-15 different 28mm/2.8's. Still looking for two (Contax Distagon 28mm/2.8 and Cimko 28mm/2.8 in PK mount). I have Cimko manufactured 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 135mm lenses and like them greatly. Except for 24mm I have paid something like 15 Euro per piece but looked for several hours in Ebay for each.

7. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't know anything about Cimko lenses, but as soon as I read your response I remembered that I had this stashed in the bookcase:

uda2usyb.

This is an OM mount and I am thinking that the MT series is probably lower end.

Since we are on a roll here can you tell me a bit about Cimko (I think I have a few on display bodies)?
    ;-)

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Cimko was mainly a cheap third party lens manufacturer. For some reason it didn't make lenses for Vivitar but lots of other brands used them (Paragon, Ensinor, Beroflex, Super Ozeck etc.). Most Cimko lenses have diamond shaped mark (not filled green or red or filled red) for distance mark. Two lenses watch for are 24mm and 28mm "macro" ones, they are pretty good. Here are reviews for 24mm one:
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/ensinor-24mm-f-2-8-macro.html
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/super-paragon-pmc-ii-macro-24mm-f2-8.html

I like the Beroflex 35mm&135mm too. I suspect that in full frame the corners are soft with these lenses but with ASP-C these lenses work very well. They are mechanically pretty good, light weight and optically good enough for most of my needs. I am looking for 28mm/2.8 macro one in PK/M42 mount for my travel kit, I have one in Minolta mount but idea is to have only Contax and PK mount lenses so I would need only 2 adapters. I will propably get Zeiss Contax Distagon 28mm/2.8 some day (it will be definitely better in FF if I ever move to it).

9. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    you are saying that the aperture is stuck open? if you still have the canon camera, mount the lens on the camera, and check the aperture operation by looking into the front of the lens.

i say that because it's very difficult to operate the aperture on fd lenses, when they aren't mounted to something, the aperture doesn't respond when you twist the aperture ring on the lens.

here is how fd/fdn lenses are mounted to a nex adapter, if you have the adapter, mount up the lens, and see if the aperture works.

canon-fdn-lens-mount-to-sony-nex-a7r-adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks Dan!

I have struggled a bit being brand new to FD lenses for sure! I do have 2 other FD lenses that work fine on my adapter, but honestly, it did take quite awhile to get them figured out.

I will try to get the 28 mounted properly on the adapter and/or the body I have

11. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I took another try at it today, but win no luck. I have a FD 50 1.8 that mounts up and functions just fine, but I cannot get e Vivitar to work. I think I will be taking my nephew to the repair shop this week (his camera bag fell out of his car while shooting as a guest at a wedding over the weekend and one of his favorite lenses separated at the mount) so I will see what they say. I will see if it seems worth it to have fixed or if it ends up being on a display camera or a test for me to fix myself ;-)

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't know the construction of this lens but many lenses allow screwing the whole back optical assembly out in single piece. You really need lens spanner for it but some use compass (the metal kind, not a school one). If it is easy to get to aperture blades it is very easy to remove grease from the blades. Use lighter fluid and q-tips. Q-tips will need to moist but not dripping. Carefully rub the blades until they start to move. Close the aperture and continue to remove grease. Open and close aperture and remove all of the grease you can.

Don't dismantle the mount if it is not necessary, don't try to soak the blades or you have to clean every surface. Aperture blades don't need lubrication so no oiling them.

13. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks xXx1! I if he just go for it myself. I am not sure how much I would consider I have invested in this lens since I bought it trying to help a friend out (I paid much more than I should have for the 24, a Canon 50 1.8, a giant Solinger, and an FTb) so it might be a good way to test my mettle on lens repair! I had a notion about 10 years ago that I would start repairing old camera (never did get the opportunity to work on lenses though) so I have a couple lens spanners around somewhere.

14. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    As an update, I took the Vivitar into the repair shop and they said it would probably cost more to repair than the lens is worth, so I should try shooting it wide open (in the stuck position) to see what I thought and to decide if the repairs would be worth it to me. The estimate was about $75 for the repair.

I shot a bit with it, and was not at all happy with the results; the lens has very poor flare control and has Ver low contrast for the type of shooting I would probably do with it. I am going to try it again and see what I think, but it looks like it is going to be a trial in my ability to repair, or it may just be destined to be a body cap for a shelf camera.

15. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    the 24mm/28mm f/2.0 viv/kiron lenses have that kind of dreamy soft look wide open, it's especially bad on the 24mm version... it only works for certain kinds of shots, imho.

if you had the 24mm version it would be worth $75 to repair, but the 28mm f/2.0 comes up regularly... on the a7r, the 28's wide open start off ugly on the sides, but then totally clean up by ~f/10, perfect for landscape use.

i really like how that big glass looks when you hold it in your hand, off of the camera... it's impressive.

thing is, there are a ton of clean 28mm slr lenses, it's the exact opposite from the situation with the 24mm primes, so you've got no incentive to throw money at it, unless you really need to shoot f/2.0 soft look.

in general, maybe avoid 3rd party 28mm primes with the 49mm filter thread; focal, chinon, etc., and look at the 3rd party 28mm primes with 52mm filter threads; albinar adg($5 !!) for crop sensor, the sigma miniwide II manual focus is good for crop sensor, and it has great manual focus feel to it.