1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Vivitar 28-85mm 3.5-4.5 Macro MC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by José De Bardi, Dec 7, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    So I picked this up from the local camera store. Paid £30 which is probably £10 more than I needed to, but it was there and G.A.S. got the better of me!

Couldn't find an existing sample thread... sorry if I missed it.

Just took it out for a quick walk with the dog. Nice versatile lens. It needs a good clean up (stopped down you can see dust on the rear element), but I can't see any internal grime/fungus etc.

It had an MC/OM adaptor on it, which I can't actually work out how to get it off, so it's double-adapted on the front of my OM/Emount adaptor as is. Any tips on how to remove the MC/OM ring!?

I finally got around to fixing my OM/Emount adaptor also. It wasn't fully stopping the lens down as the arm wasn't positioned properly. I got the spanners out and flipped the arm over and angled it towards the arm on the lens as far as poss. On my 50mm it now fully stops down, on this 28-85mm, it gets down to about f13, but I can press the DOF preview button on the MC/OM adaptor to get it down to f16 if needed, but I'm happy enough with my fix as it is!

It only goes into the 'macro' focus zone at the 85mm end, but this gives a comfortable working min. distance of 0.6m. It's another one of those 'close focus' lenses rather than true macro IMO though.

It's also my first push/pull zoom, and I have to say, I quite like it, being able to combine zoom/focus in one smooth action is a bonus. Only issue is walking around lens down, it tends to drag itself out to 85mm but it's no big deal.

So, enough rambling, here's a couple of sample snaps...

A gorse bush... 85mm, min. focus distance, f3.5
    DSC08062_zpsbbe0163e.

A rather pretty sunset, 28mm, ~f13
    DSC08083_zpsa27c458a.

And one at 85mm, again ~f13
    DSC08086_zps7bfcd55e.

And a couple of it mounted on the A6000 (taken with the Nex-5/SEL35F18 in horrendous lighting! Shoved a desk lamp between my legs as a quick/dirty solution!)
    DSC02776_zps022c357a.

DSC02777_zpsb7b90ccf.

• Like Like x 3
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I tried the push/pull thing. Drove me nuts.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I suspect you'll like it...have a Canon FDn 28-85 I use on the NEX-7 a lot as the focal range is very useful....like mine a lot

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Also have an 28-85 lens, the Minolta MD one. Versatile FL, but never really bonded with it, mainly cause it quite a heavy lens

Nice pics :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea, it is a but heavy, I'm figuring this can be offset with the fact it's focal range is a very nice option for a solo lens outing.

6. stargazin

stargazin New to TalkEmount

Dec 7, 2014
    That reminds me of some of my old lens 30 years ago. I thought they were amazing. My last camera was the 7000I, now I'm trying to get back into this send bought an a6000, with the kit lens and the 55-210. I'd like to find some of the lenses like you've found but don't know what to look for, or the adapters needed. I really like you sunset at 85mm, love the clouds. This cameras is years beyond what I last played with. Btw thanks for the images.

• Like Like x 1
  7. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Adaptors is easy enough, just google "Emount 'insert other lens mount here' adaptor". Most are £10-20. The only expensive ones are the official Sony LA-EA adaptors for A-Mount, but they give you AF so it's worth it...

As for what legacy lens you can use, you name it, it's possible, as all of them are designed to have a mirror between the sensor and the back of the glass. So the afore mentioned adaptors just fill out the space where the mirror used to be.

Where to buy them, either Ebay (risky as quality is unknown), your local camera store (I have 2 locally that have loads of old lenses/cameras traded in all the time, but you will usually pay a little more than online) - you can test them there and then before you buy which is nice, and then there are a few websites which offer legacy lenses - these give a rating of the quality as well so you know what you are getting, example being https://www.keh.com - there are others, I'm sure if you scout this forum you will see people mention them (or another member may be able to follow up on this post to let you know).

Hope that helps :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I have several from Ebay, no problems at all.

9. stargazin

stargazin New to TalkEmount

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah out here on the Central Oregon Coast there are no proper camera shops. A Shuttershack, where I bought my i6000, but they so not have any used gear. There may be some second hand stores around that might have something. I'll have to look.

Thanks, for the heads up. Any brands to avoid, or special to seek out?

Sorry I don't want to derail the O.P.

10. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The old a-mount Minolta's tend to be popular because of the Sony connection I guess. Plus lots of options so one adaptor gives you MANY lenses!
    But no fixed rules, people use Canon, Nikon, Pentax all sorts!

11. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I have this lens in a Pentax K mount. Oddly enough it can be stepped down to f/22 while yours goes to f/16. The serial # on mine is 776XXXXX while yours is 774XXXXX so mine looks like it is two years newer.

I have never bonded with this lens like I have my Series1 as the focus throw is extremely short.

"It had an MC/OM adaptor on it, which I can't actually work out how to get it off, so it's double-adapted on the front of my OM/Emount adaptor as is. Any tips on how to remove the MC/OM ring!?" Have you pushed the button on the chrome and twisted?

12. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea. The 2 buttons are DOF preview and release the OM side. It's really odd!

Also agree the focus throw is super short.