Showcase Vivitar 28-210 f/3.5-5.6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by TonyTurley, Jul 15, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The Vivitar 28-210 f/3.5-5.6 is a push-pull, one touch zoom lens. The one I have acquired is in mint condition. I don't know if I'm just getting shaky hands as I get older, but my first efforts at getting some evening shots hand-held were less than stellar, so I decided to try again with a tripod. The lens does appear to be somewhat soft wide open, but that is common with many zoom lenses. Another thing I noticed is the Nex-5R would not focus peak in anything but the brightest light with this lens. Must be something with the way this lens is made, because I often use focus peaking in deep woodland shadows with other Vivitar zoom lenses.

The photos I obtained are reasonable. The bokeh is nice and creamy. The only one that bugs me is the tree photo at the end. The details in the tree, which is around 100' tall, are crisp, but there is some blue fringing around the lower branches. I thought it might be CA, but I couldn't figure out how to correct it in RawTherapee. I'm going to take the lens to work with me tomorrow to see what I can snap at the airport.

Tony

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice first shots, waiting to see the next set.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very convinient lens IMHO.

I've found that the focus peaking on my Nex-5 works good on the short side of my MD 70-210 (@ 70mm) while on the long side (@210mm) its more difficult to see...
    Also focus peaking performs differently with different lenses

Yeah, long focal lenght lenses require VERY steady hand for handheld

4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The seller has agreed to let me send the lens back for a refund. I took it into work this morning to try a variety of shots at different FLs, but I couldn't get any really sharp photos, even using a tripod. They were soft at every FL I tried. Too bad, because the lens showed promise.

Tony

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Bummer.