1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus (Contax C/Y mount) + Metabones Ultra

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by TonyTurley, Apr 15, 2015.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    On a NEX-6 under cloudy, rainy conditions.

TT

DSC02135.
    DSC02136.

• Like Like x 4
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That lens is working well for ya :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, beautiful images Tony! Great colors :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting it out in the woods this weekend.

TT

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A photo of the sibling. Wide open, very shallow DOF. Note the letters across the front of the Konica lens are only sharp on the left side, because the photo was taken at a slight angle.

TT

DSC02139.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    What is the serial number of the lens? I think that I have one in OM-mount and it won't work with EF Lens Turbo II (will focus only to about 2 m or so).

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No need. From another post it starts with 28 so it is Komine.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Correct. I have heard of focus issues with some speed boosters, but this one focuses correctly out of the box from MFD to infinity.

TT

9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A few more from this morning’s walk with the NEX-6. I think I like the lens better in close-up situations than I do as a landscape lens.

TT

DSC02165.
    DSC02167.
    DSC02169.
    DSC02171-1.
    DSC02175.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Again on the NEX-6:

DSC02203.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have decided to return the Metabones for a refund. My first impression that the adapter focused correctly to infinity was in error. Even though the NEX peaking indicator is showing correct focus at infinity, the images from this combination are not sharp when cropped. I'm guessing this adapter is better served as an up close adapter only, for those who want only dreamy shots. The IQ from my Pen F 20/3.5 looks better to me than the Vivitar 28 + Metabones.

Perhaps if I had one of the mythical Contax Y lenses or Yashica ML lenses, I'd be more pleased with the IQ, but I'm not about to throw good money after bad. For me, the Metabones did not deliver on the hype. I'll leave this thread in place for informational purposes.

TT

12. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Sorry to hear that. These were still pleasant shots though. Maybe not technically sharp, but... good color.

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Steve. They are pleasant shots, but something is missing from them for me. Clinical sharpness isn't always necessary or even desired, but the landscape shots just don't have that pop I was after. They're not bad shots, but they're just . . . average is the best term I can come up with. There were a lot of other photos I took that day with the Metabones/Vivitar combination, and I went through them for a second time last night. They just didn't pass muster for me. I dropped the Metabones off at UPS early this morning. Live and learn.

TT