Vivid, landscape, etc settings help

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by eight_eight, Aug 4, 2013.

1. eight_eight

eight_eight New to TalkEmount

Jul 13, 2013
    For the color settings, what do you guys set for vivid, landscape, portrait, etc?

Also, the skin tones are coming out a bit...off. People's skin tones are coming out slightly jersey shore orange. It's noticeable because people are asking why they look really "tan". White balance seems ok. White things are white using auto WB. help!

I'm using a nex 6 with the sigma 30.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As far as color settings, I start with normal, but will adjust depending on the situation.

I have had a WB issue from time to time. If you get an off shot you can use the set feature, which allows you to find something white, take a quick snap and set it there.

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Although I shoot in RAW, I use Landscape colour setting for everything A tip from nianys here, with Sharpeness and Saturation set at 0 and Contrast set at -1. I then use a preset in Lightroom 5 to mimic that jpeg output on import.

4. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I use the Landscape setting and no further corrections. Shooting in Raw and Jpeg I do so if needed I can correct in Raw.

5. eight_eight

Jul 13, 2013
    What exactly are the settings? Mine are all {0,0,0}

6. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin

We all answered that.

davect01 said he starts 0,0,0 but may sometimes change depending on the situation.

I use Landscape 0,-1,0 where contrast is -1

and Frank uses Landscape 0,0,0

what I am saying is that I use Landscape even when I shoot portraits or any other style of photograph. Landscape 0,-1,0 is my 'standard'

I don't worry about White Baance much because shooting RAW WB is fully adjustable in post.

7. jamiesin

jamiesin TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    I have also been wondering about this setting. I started off with vivid, but I found that some of the colors are a bit off.

I will definitely try out the landscape setting as suggested :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using TalkNEX mobile app

8. eight_eight

Jul 13, 2013
    Oh i see. Each setting is inherently different. I thought all settings were the same and you just adjusted the numbers to make the settings different from each other.

9. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I come to this whole thing from Nikon DSLRs and I have always shot raw. Using raw, I want all my settings to be completely neutral, and do all my "settings" in PP

10. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I used to do the same but that mean pp everything for me. By importing with a preset that mimics what I see on the screen, for some shots I can just export as josh right away. If I want to work on the file, it's easy enough to 'zero' it out first if I want.

11. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I am not sure I understand why you bother changing those settings if you're shooting RAW? nianys is a JPG shooter.

12. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    What you see on the screen/viewfinder is the jpeg preview, so how you set these parameters makes a difference in your view while shooting and chimping and since I mimic that on import of my RAW files. I prefer to see that.

I also often use the B&W setting when I think I will convert the file to B&W or if I'm just having a hard time seeing the focus peaking. It's faster for me to change to B&W than it is to go into settings and change the focus colour say if I'm shooting a yellow flower and have the focus peaking colour on yellow.

13. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    As a strictly RAW shooter who shoots manual glass 75% of the time, I prefer Landscape with Contrast +1 and Sharpness +1. I find this helps in confirming my focus in the viewfinder and on the back of the screen.

14. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I am also a RAW shooter, except for when I shoot video. So I either have to you use the settings that I want for video, or find a way to switch back and forth VERY quickly.

15. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I don't shoot video but in your situation, I'd just set up the colour settings for video shooting and not worry about switching back and forth.