Vintage lenses already after golden age on Nex?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by riccardocovino, Sep 25, 2011.

1. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    After buying the Nex I've fallen in the vintage lenses addiction, and in 4 months I collected around 15 primes for my little beauty.
    But I know I won't use many of them except for some sporadic fun or particular need.

Now, with the new E-Mount lenses coming out (on top the Zeiss and the 50mm 1.8) I think I'll use them even less, and if I was starting now probably I would have bought none, or just a couple.
    Having a proper 50mm with autofocus and IS makes a soooo big difference!
    If you go out for a walk on the street to take pictures in your hometown you can have a lot of fun with the manual lenses, and if you miss a moment it's not a big problem, but if you go traveling knowing that the place/subject/animal will be seen only once in your life getting the right image becomes much more important.

So, I guess that vintage lenses will continue to be great companions for mirrorless cameras, but the new Emount lenses will hit for sure the market, since now the boost was also due to the lack of proprietary lenses.
  2. heatherthevet

heatherthevet TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Can we see some examples of what you're doing with the lenses? I'm really interested to see which lenses do what when attached to NEX. I've got a few FD fit lenses I use with it - mostly the 35-70 Canon but I'm trying to get myself some sort of 1:1 macro thing and I'm thinking about one of those low quality CCTV type lenses that make everything look like a twisted dream sequence.

Frustrated - done a lot of work and now waiting for the pay to come in before I can buy Aperture, some lenses and pay the gas bill!
  3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Different peoples experience and backgrounds are so variable and interesting,....when I want to be sure that I get a sharply focussed image I always reach for the manual lenses because I've had far more failures with auto focus than with the real thing.....
  4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I think in general there has always been a small subset of users that have used adapted lenses. If you take that subset I think it is safe to say that many of them are no longer using adapted lenses because most of these systems are now providing native lenses that fill what was once missing gaps in the lens lineup. For example, m4/3 users were always looking for 40mm and 50mm solutions to use as portrait lenses because the only lens in that focal length, the Panasonic-Leica 45mm, was expensive. Now, Olympus has released their 45mm lens that is reasonably priced and the demand for adapted lenses to use as portrait lenses will go down.

The exception to all of this is rangefinder lenses. Not only does it seem to me that demand for rangefinder lenses has stayed the same, but in many ways it has gone up. The NEX-C3, NEX-5N, and, quite likely, the NEX-7 all seem to work better with wider rangefinder lenses. For those users who want to use these lenses with a digital back and can't afford an M camera, these have become affordable solutions. Beyond the NEX system, Ricoh has the GXR M mount module that takes rangefinder lenses. It is the only digital camera besides the Leica M8 and M9 that is specifically designed to use M-mount lenses.

I think my point is that for many users adapted lenses are a solution for a problem that no longer exists and they've moved beyond them. For the rest of us, adapted lenses are the main reason why we use mirrorless cameras. I only use rangefinder lenses and I've found the NEX system to be a good digital back for them.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I think this solely depends on the person behind the camera and the reasons he / she has for using specific lenses. Some people crave sharpness, contrast, bokeh, AF, speed, etc.. the list goes on. I prefer to use the lenses I have because I like the character it gives to the photos I take, and the character of every lens will depend on the type of glass, elements used, aspherical or not, number of aperture blades, etc... comparing 2 lenses with the same focal length and speed from different lens makers (e.g. Zeiss & Leica) will yield different results, and everyone will have their preferences.

In regards to AF, again this will come down to personal preference, I've come from shooting MF only and while I see the addition of AF as a good thing I have never personally cared for it as I still prefer to shoot in MF. I'm sure there will be folks who will prefer one or the other and this isn't necessarily better or worse, its just the person's shooting style.

Shooting MF also doesnt necessarily mean shooting slower, a LOT of street photgraphers use MF lenses and getting the right image first go is probably the hardest for this genre of photography as the photographer has to catch that 'decisive moment before it is lost forever - Henri Cartier-Bresson' .
  6. riccardocovino

Sep 25, 2011
    probably all of you guys are saying the truth, and we can try to separate different needs and different markets.

SLR manual lenses:
    bought mainly for two reasons: no native alternative and cheap price.
    the first reason slowly will no more exist, and so they will not be bought anymore as a replacement for something missing.
    second reason, price, is true only for some lenses, and will continue to be true only under the 200$ roof, considering the price range of the E-mount current lenses to be only a bit over it (except zeiss)

rangefinder lenses:
    a different market, and for sure it can be unaffected by the advent of Emount new lenses.
    here dwell the persons that spent their 1k-2k dollars for that stellar Leica lens but don't want to spend 7k for the bulky M9 and its awful sensor (usable only in the 64-800 ISO range), ridiculous display and expensive set of accessories.

fun lenses:
    here we see all the lenses not competitive on the quality side but bought for the mood they give: we can find the russian RF, the Holga/Lomo/Pinhole, the CCTV, etc.
    it's a small market and probably will continue living on its own.
  7. riccardocovino

Sep 25, 2011
    @ heatherthevet: too many lenses to put examples for all.
    Anyway, for some purposes (i.e. super tele, or pinhole, or posed portrait) i think i'll continue to use them, for the rest if I have to go out with camera and only one lens, without knowing the subject (from landscape to portrait to closeup) sadly I have to admit that the 18-55 is still the best option!

btw, here is the list of my current setup:

18-55 3.5-5.6

Olympus Zuiko OM: (definetly cool, well, built, excellent performance and reasonable price)
    24mm 2.8
    28mm 2.8
    35mm 2.8
    50mm 1.8 SC
    50mm 1.8 MC
    100mm 2.8
    135mm 2.8
    300mm 4.5

85mm 1.7 (a top-quality lens)
    200mm 2.8

25mm 8 pinhole (soo fun)

28mm 2.8
    50mm 3.5 (M39)
    50mm 3.5 (M42)

50mm 1.8

37mm 2.8
  8. heatherthevet

heatherthevet TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    You could put examples of some? Maybe the ones that best demonstrate the differences? I'm all about the pictures!