1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Viltrox EF-Eii Focal Reducer with Sony A6400

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Richard Crowe, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Richard Crowe

Richard Crowe TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I think that I may have finally stumbled upon something. I have previously tried the Metabones IV and the Sigma MC-11 adapters to use my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens on my Sony A6400 and that combination produced some pretty poor AF results. It seems like I was able to use some shorter focal length Canon lenses and achieved fair AF performance but, AF with the 100-400ii lens did not work at all.
    However, I have tried the VILTROX EF-Eii Focal Reducer and the AF seems to work decently. I even achieve Eye-AF with this combination. IS seems to work also as indicated by the slow shutter speeds at which I was able to shoot. One downside is the slight vignetting at the corners which I can work around.
    I haven't tested the AF speed of this lens but the results from this first test seem quite encouraging! I shot this in AFS mode with the Wide Area selected and with the Viltrox Focal Reducer in Phase Detect. I also used AFc and that seems to work O.K. also. I did not want to buy the Sony 100-400mm lens because of the high price. If this didn't work, I just would not have a 100-400mm lens to mount on my A6400.
    Since I will be shooting with both my Canon and Sony setups, I hope that this will work in real life shooting scenarios. It will. of course take many more tests before I am confident of this combination but, it is the best that I have tried so far...
    VILTROX EF-EII Test with 100-400L ii lens_0988.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    VILTROX EF-EII Test with 100-400L ii lens_1001.jpg
    VILTROX EF-EII Test with 100-400L ii lens_1008.jpg
    VILTROX EF-EII Test with 100-400L ii lens_400mm.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Christop82

Christop82 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2017
    The viltrox ef-m2 for m43 also works well. Only tested the ef 100mm f2, but AF was very good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.