Viltrox EF-Eii Focal Reducer with Sony A6400

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I think that I may have finally stumbled upon something. I have previously tried the Metabones IV and the Sigma MC-11 adapters to use my Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens on my Sony A6400 and that combination produced some pretty poor AF results. It seems like I was able to use some shorter focal length Canon lenses and achieved fair AF performance but, AF with the 100-400ii lens did not work at all.
However, I have tried the VILTROX EF-Eii Focal Reducer and the AF seems to work decently. I even achieve Eye-AF with this combination. IS seems to work also as indicated by the slow shutter speeds at which I was able to shoot. One downside is the slight vignetting at the corners which I can work around.
I haven't tested the AF speed of this lens but the results from this first test seem quite encouraging! I shot this in AFS mode with the Wide Area selected and with the Viltrox Focal Reducer in Phase Detect. I also used AFc and that seems to work O.K. also. I did not want to buy the Sony 100-400mm lens because of the high price. If this didn't work, I just would not have a 100-400mm lens to mount on my A6400.
Since I will be shooting with both my Canon and Sony setups, I hope that this will work in real life shooting scenarios. It will. of course take many more tests before I am confident of this combination but, it is the best that I have tried so far...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Christop82

TalkEmount Regular
The viltrox ef-m2 for m43 also works well. Only tested the ef 100mm f2, but AF was very good.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom