• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Viltrox 85mm vs Sony FE 85mm?

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hello there!
I was wondering if anyone here has tried or owned the Vilttrox 85mm and the Sony 85mm. The Viltrox is very affordable and I'm wondering if spending more on the Sony is actually worth it. Saving a few bucks might help me fund another lens in the future ;)

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
No personal experience myself, but Dustin Abbott has made a series of 4 videos about a number of Sony FE 85mm options, among which are the Sony FE AF 1.8/85 and Viltrox AF 1.8/85.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I watched all of them and ultimately decided to go for a manual focus lens, the Zeiss Loxia 2.4/85. No regrets so far, but I only have it for a week now, and a manual-focus 85mm certainly isn't for every use case.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
Although Sony Focus Peaking and Focus assist make using a manual lens easier than on some other cameras, I love the Eye-AF of the Sony 85mm f/1.8 (as well as other Sony lenses). The one lens that I would like to try is the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AF...

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks Ad.
I really like Dustin Abbot's work. Another great review.

@mesmerized : Looks like the Viltrox does pretty well.
I picked up a used Sony 85mm 1.8 for a few bucks more than the Viltrox new and traded heads up for the Samyang. So maybe all three could be a consideration?

Ad Dieleman

Amateur
Although Sony Focus Peaking and Focus assist make using a manual lens easier than on some other cameras, I love the Eye-AF of the Sony 85mm f/1.8 (as well as other Sony lenses). The one lens that I would like to try is the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AF...
I was shooting a static scene the other day with the Loxia 2.4/85 when a lady entered the frame and had a long phone conversation before picking up her bike. While keeping the camera on the tripod, I quickly focussed with peaking and I'm amazed at the excellent results I got, but some pictures weren't sharp because she moved too much. AF would have gotten it right, I think.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular

Viltrox offers an AF version :)

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If you're planning to buy new, have you looked into the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE Lens? I prefer that lens over the Sony 85mm 1.8 FE lens. If buying used though, I believe the Sony 85mm 1.8 is a decent value.

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
If you're planning to buy new, have you looked into the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE Lens? I prefer that lens over the Sony 85mm 1.8 FE lens. If buying used though, I believe the Sony 85mm 1.8 is a decent value.
Thing is that the Samyang is a pretty hefty lens, isn't it?

Latest threads

Top Bottom