Viewfinder vs Screen

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 13, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi all,
    I have the sexy nex-f3 with the external view finder. If I understand it right the viewfinder has greater resolution and better color reproduction, that means it would be nice to train my self using it exclusively when framing and reviewing shots. Is that right?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Having both means both the options.

There are times where using the viewfinder is more convenient, there are times where the screen is more convenient.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Better color reproduction? I doubt it. Sonys OLED EVF is not bad at all, but as it's a by now not new OLED screen, it naturally oversaturates the colors, blows highlights a little bit too early and doesn't show anything accurately. Just judge exposure by the histogram and edit the colors to your likeness in post (adjusting the white balance of your RAWs afterwards should do well). With that in mind, it doesn't matter if you use the EVF or back screen - just use whatever is more comfortable at the moment, or switch between the two just as you like.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    My camera has both an EVF and the LCD rear.... I really enjoy having both options. I use the LCD screen for quick snaps or, low to the ground, or above my head shots. The EVF is great in bright sunlight or when I am trying to compose a shot.
  5. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I love the EVF on my much that I Sugru'd it on so it doesn't break/come off (I've been traveling with the camera in various bags and never needed to worry about the EVF breaking off).

I compose and review my shots exclusively in the EVF, while I reserve the LCD for menu-diving. What I don't like about the EVF is how the image turns to a noisefest for night shots. Other than that, I can't live without it.
  6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    By the way, I love using the EVF because it gives the images kind of a 3D look, and it's incredibly sharp. While not technically accurate, it sure is great to make you think you take one awesome shot after the other, which encourages you (or at least me) to shoot more, which is great. Doesn't work in the dark though, and on a tripod the tilting screen is better anyway, so for my main area of shooting, I use the screen, while I prefer the EVF for run and gun style shootings.
  7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't think it's much to do with color. Using an EVF benefits your shooting posture - steadier camera and less distraction about what you're capturing. I try to always shoot through an EVF where possible.

This doesn't necessarily apply to video (where you often need a sense of your surroundings to pan), nor is it good when the tilt screen is better (shooting over a crowd, or at ground level).
  8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    The OLED gives a good idea of what your photo could look like if you crank up the contrast and drop the black levels down to ink.

I do enjoy using it to review photos as well as take them though, something optical just can't give you.