1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Viewfinder adjustments

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NickCyprus, Dec 17, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just upgraded from a 1st gen Nex-5 to a Nex-6 and have been trying to learn all the additional feautures...
    Was wondering what are some adjustments (besides the diopter adjustment) one can perform for the build-in EVF as found in Nex-6/7?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Brightness and color correction, apart from the diopter correction that's about it I think. I never bothered with the color correction, I find the NEX-6's viewfinder good enough as it is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Ad :)

Regarding brightness there is a manual setting (basically 3 brightness levels) and auto. I left mine in auto.

Can you tell me more about the color correction?

I intend of posting a thread after a few days with my thoughts about the transition from the 5 to 6. I don't want give much now (have a few more tests to do) but the EVF performance dissapointed me a little...

4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Errm... yes, I was mistaken :eek:. The NEX-6 doesn't have color balance correction for the viewfinder (nor LCD for that matter), at least I couldn't find it in the menu. I mixed up with the Panasonic G1 or GH2 that had that feature, and it was needed there.

5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Bummer :(

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    How does everybody with a Nex-6/7 find the performance of the viewfinder?

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Very, very good. I had never used a better EVF (before the A7). ;)

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've come to grips with the 6's finder. At first I was annoyed at the moiré that easily pops up with fine details in the scene, but after a while I just forgot about it. I like that is still useable in fierce sunlight; I noticed that when I was in Israel, where my GH2 often forced me to shield the finder with my hand from bright light on my first trip and I didn't have that with the NEX-6 on my second trip. Among other things that led me to sell my µ4/3 gear.

The finder is marginally useful for composing a picture, but not in the way of a real optical viewfinder. Again, this was a large improvement over the GH2 and especially the G1 where I had to take my eye off the finder and look at the scene directly to see if something obtrusive was there.

Personally I consider a camera without a viewfinder as unuseable, so I don't give it much thought. For me the LCD has its uses on a tripod, but even then I also use the finder because critical focussing works better for me that way. Moreover, the transition from GH2 to NEX-6 was a big step-up in a number of ways, and the viewfinder was one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Hmm, perhaps its the fact that I never really used another camera with an EVF. That or maybe cause my expectations were on the high side...

10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I really should be saving this post for my Nex-6 impression thread but can't resist...

So far I've used it mainly indoors so can't really comment how it perfoms in direct sunlight
    Indoors its weird (I'll only mention the cons I find - I've found many pros too but I'll leave those out for now):
    1) colours are very saturated/not natural
    2) achieving critical focus is difficult / peaking doesn't work so well as on LCD (set to Med/yellow)
    3) I think the resolution is low (much lower than the LCD). I think what I'm experiencing is called "pixel peeping"???
    Its miles better than the EVF of a Sony's powerzoom camera I tried but still...

found this: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3352260

11. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't know if you're in a position to return it; if so that's a hard decision I imagine. If not, I'd say try to live with it at least for a month or so, chances are you'll get used to the deficiencies of an EVF. I too had to adjust after leaving the (D)SLR world with its optical viewfinders and with the NEX-6 I found I'm able to live with it.

Peaking is indeed less vigorous in the viewfinder than on the LCD and to me that's OK, the LCD is all yellow sometimes due to peaking. Some time ago Claire (nianys) noted that there is sample variation here: some cameras of the same type peak better than others. From what I've read I'm lucky, my EVF even peaks in magnified view if only just and that's a good thing: focus is dead-on once I see peaking color in magnified view. But in lower contrast I'm out of luck, I have to use the magnified view to focus. Same thing on the A7 BTW, feels much the same as the NEX-6 for focussing. Slow lenses in low light? Not a good idea, the EVF gets dark and noisy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not likely. I also notice a difference in color between the recorded image and the scene in the viewfinder, colors of the recorded scene look more subdued and more natural so I guess your complaint about oversaturation matches more or less with my experience. And if there's peaking, well it's OK in that respect. Peaking intensity very much depends on contrast in the scene and lens quality at the aperture used. I often stop down 1 stop from wide-open to get better peaking (and better image quality as well).

The A7's viewfinder is better I think. It shows more detail, I find it easier to focus without peaking than on the NEX-6. Most important improvement IMHO isn't the display device in the finder, but the eyepiece optics: the image is sharper across the whole frame and has somewhat less distortion. The A7's eyepiece optics come a bit closer to the wonderful viewfinder in my Nikon F3. Can't say that I see a big difference in lower light between the NEX-6 and A7.

Apparently I'm not the best one to judge on viewfinders, I'm easily satisfied it seems. Even the A7's EVF is not the same as an optical viewfinder but I'm OK with that, I will not go back to a DSLR anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Ad - you've been great help (as always) ;) :thumbup:

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My pleasure!

• Like Like x 1
  16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just to give an update, things got a little better (again only indoor tests) after I adjusted contrast and saturation (creative style)...
    Will try tomorrow in daylight and report back for whoever is interested

Regarding my low peaking complain, a different scene and different lens (but again shot wide open) present very good peaking through the EVF

Still noise/grain are more present that I would imagine or liked but I guess those are expected in these situations (indoors / low light/ slow-ish lens)

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Well after adjusting contrast and saturation I can confirm that the EVF is working great during daylight. No noise/grain whatsoever and trying it with the MD 24-35mm at f/8 peaks excellent ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Glad to see it's working out for you.

• Like Like x 1