1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

View From My Porch

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by José De Bardi, Jan 12, 2014.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hey All!

Took these from my porch this evening, not sure why but for some reason the same view I have seen for the last 3 years looked particularly cool in the rain today!
    As it happens I did it all long exposure so the rain doesn't show up, although the reflections are kinda cool.

Both taken with my OM 50mm at f16 - not taken it off the camera yet! Loving it - NEED MORE LEGACY GLASS!

Some obvious PP here, car drove by in the shot and I instantly knew I would do this with it :D (not everyone's cup of tea I know!)
    DSC01139_zps3012f322.

Flashed the lights on/off quickly with the key fob for this one... Wanted more light on the bike really, but leaving the lights on any longer they really blew badly and I wasn't up for getting my flash out (plus I would have put it behind the tree pointing at the bike so it would have got wet)!
    DSC01164_zps4035ff63.

Any comments/critique welcome as always :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I like the first one, it shows a nice atmosphere although indeed the red color distracts me a little bit. The second one doesn't do much for me, the headlights on the left disagree with the rest of the picture and its atmosphere. B&W is indeed the better choice here IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I like the 1st one too but the red light lines doesn't bother me much :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I agree with Ad, I was concentrating too much on trying to light the bicycle, and as a result the rest of the image suffered. I was mainly unhappy with the colour mismatch between the headlights and the streetlights - and so wondered about B&W (hadn't even considered it before, ironic considering the other shot!).

So anyway, much happier with it now!
    DSC01164BW_zpsc3b7e8ca.

• Like Like x 2
  5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A lot better but I still prefer the first one which to me shows a quiet atmosphere, void of any human activity. The second one doesn't do that.

6. José De Bardi

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea, I'm still with you on that - just thought I'd see what I could do to improve it :)

• Like Like x 1