Vietnam

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jcairns, Feb 19, 2014.

1. jcairns

jcairns New to TalkEmount

Feb 19, 2014
    I've gotten into videography recently, and here's a short video on my recent trip to Vietnam.

Since I'm still learning, I'd really appreciate any feedback you have. Constructive criticism and tips go a long way!

Vietnam (on vimeo)

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I watched it till the end which says something, I've found it a very agreeable impression of what looks like a fantastic trip. Won't give any critique because I have zero experience in video, I'll leave that to more knowledgeable people.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agreed, never done video editing.

Nice vid though. Captures a good feel for the places you visited.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Seems to be a great place and vacation. Adventurous on the one hand and relaxing on the other
    Nice video, I like how you did the ending very much too :thumbup:
    I would be so scared taking my Nex inside a small boat (kayak) like that :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    I really like it! Sure does look like a promo for visiting Vietnam. I don't have any background in video editing either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    I work as a video editor myself and think you did a great job. Most of the shots are static with almost no camera pans or zooms. That, to me is a very good thing. A lot of videographers are always trying to move, pan tilt but I believe that a nicely framed shot does a lot better than a bad zoom out. The only small critique I would give is that some of the shots are a little shakey but that is totally normal with such a small camera. I am just saying this to let you know that there are third party stabilizers that are really effective and that could really make some really good shots truely wonderful.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. jcairns

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I really appreciate the input. Yeah, I use the SEL35F18 as I like primes, so zooming will never be in my videos. I'm not the greatest at manual focusing the NEX while filming and keeping it steady; as you said, the size and lack of weight make it difficult. All the shaking comes from the focusing.

Are there any third party stabilizers you recommend? I've played around with the built-in software one on final cut pro but absolutely hate it; gives a warped and wavy look to the footage, even with just minor correction. Or in this instance are you referring to steadicams?

8. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    I think you did a good job at focusing and keeping it steady. It's almost impossible to keep things steady with such a small camera. I've seen pros who are a lot less steady. As for the stabilizers, I use an Avid Symphony at work, it has a plug-in by Boris FX called BBC stabilizer. I think they make it for FCP and know they make it for Premier but I think it is quite expensive. You might check out the After FX stabilizers also. As for the FCP stabilizer, I haven't tried it but when I was using FCP I found that motion effects and correction effects weren't as great as in Avid. One question, did you convert your footage to Pro Res? It is by far the best codec in FCP and will give better results than other codecs. If ever you want some shots stabilized in Avid you could send them to me by ftp and I could stabilize them for you. Just send me a PM if you want me to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. jcairns

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks! I will look into it.

I did convert my footage to Pro Res, but since I have the basic (free) vimeo account my files are limited to 500mb upload size, so the one I upload is not pro res.

10. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    I do not think you can upload Prores to Vimeo, probably only H264 but I was asking about the footage you were using to edit. I'll keep watching your stuff.