1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Video test with pretty fair shutter speed

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, May 8, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Was shooting a few stills of a White Breasted Nuthatch getting sunflower seeds for its mate, back sitting on the nest.
    Was using the following set-up: Sony NEX-7, Canon FD 400/4.5@8.0, ISO400, 1/320

Then had the thought to shoot a couple video clips on this 50i NEX-7 with the significantly higher shutter speed than the often noted 'twice the frame rate' (ie: around 1/100-ish). Video looks fine to me...looks identical to a similar clip shot at 1/125.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDqhuYVItI&feature=youtu.be

2. Elgabogomez

Elgabogomez New to TalkEmount

May 10, 2014
    It does not look the same as a 1/100 shutter speed, look at the movement of the bird, it is not fluid, it is stuttery, like changing from one picture in one position to another. It is minimal but is there, the blur created by a slower shutter speed cheats your eyes to see fluid motion, remember that video or film is an illution. It is even more noticeable when you have more motion in the scene or if you are not recording from a tripod. Sorry for the long response, and happy shooting :)

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, you may not be familiar with Nuthatches, dunno...but they actually have a pretty herky-jerky nature to them, but maybe you're seeing something I'm not in spite of that.
    I'll try to duplicate the exact circumstances on the 60i model and post it too...they come to the feeders every day...the trick is for me to be here / set up / looking for them at the same time they arrive.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you look closely, in the first video, there are clearly some parts of the bird missing between individual frames, or said differently, the animation is not complete. This does not disturb some viewers, but many, including me, are extremely disturbed by such a lacking video. 1/125th of a second is too fast too, but not as bad.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Really? I mean REALLY? Extremely disturbed ???

I had no idea...

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For such a short video, it might be an exaggeration. But when I think that I had to watch a video which was shot in such a way for, say, more than ten minutes, I just couldn't to it ... It somehow hurts in my brain, I can't explain it.