Video: NEX-7 vs Sony HDR-FX1

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Poki, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer Charter Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    One of the biggest companies in Austria recently contacted me to shoot a cinema commercial for them. The thing is - they've got some kind of deal to place the spot cheaply on the big screens for some months, and now they don't want (or can't - they spent all their quarterly budget already on TV advertising ...) spend much for the commercial itself.

Question now is - the two cameras I could possibly use are a NEX-7 or a Sony HDR-FX1. I never used the FX1 and I was not able to find deeper information about frame rates, HDV bandwith and the sensor itself (seems to be a combination of three 1/3 inch 1MP CMOS sensors). It seems it only records 1080i, so theoretically the NEX-7 should be better. However, the latter one downsamples quite poorly with its 24 MP sensor.

So, which one has the edge in image quality? I don't need any features above manual controls, because I'll use a steady cam, a external recorder for audio and controlled lighting anyways.

Edit: There's also the HVR-HD1000 as an option, but it seems hardly different in terms of output from the HDR-FX1.