1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

veteran

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Bimjo, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    A veteran, as in "a veteran of the marble wars", this one shows its scars from many battles. It was retired from active use when I found it laying against the curb in front of the house and placed it on the brick ledge next to the front door. It's been sitting there untouched for weeks until this morning.

While checking the weather I noticed that it was acting like a water drop will to invert the scene behind it. Looked neat so I shot it.

marble120208.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I was trying to look for your reflection in the glass, expecting you to be close with a super fast 50mm prime. But it looks like that's you on the street further back (red shirt), so telephoto perhaps?

Can't see a tripod, so if that's hand-held that's a fantastic shot in overcast lighting.

Focal length? Exposure?

Thanks for sharing :)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    This is the kit 18-55 @ 55/5.6 1/13 seconds from about 6 inches from the lens. It's a shooter, not a regular marble. The red is a pickup truck across the street. I braced the camera on my thumb and the lens hood, so it was braced pretty well.

Not to shabby for a kit lens, eh? ;)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Old school here... so 55 focal is the equivalent of a 82mm lens on film SLR. Rule of thumb is 1/60 or thereabouts minimum for hand held.

1/13sec ??

Wow, you have steady hands!
    ... and yes, what an awesome kit lens - the mighty E18-55!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very nice shot. I have not shot marbles in decades.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hahaha! I doubt if I can still hold a marble properly to shoot it. Used to be pretty wicked at it though. That's a trip down memory lane. :)