Very happy NEX user

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Rich, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Interesting. I dismissed the NEX as a toy and not worth considering for serious commercial photographic use for a long time.

Having invested a lot of money in the Fuji X Pro 1 and realising that it had just too many shortcomings, my local camera dealer said "why not try one of these" and handed me a 5N to take round town to test. 300 quid later I was an NEX owner! :D

Now I have the 5N, a 6 and Sigma 19 and 30's. I'll buy the 60mm Sigma as soon as it hits the shelves and I'm going to invest in the CZ 24 later in the Spring. Such is my faith in this system.

Today, I shot the 6 all morning, came home and processed the RAW's. Into Lightroom, through to CS5 to finish. Uploaded to agencies, no fussing, no lengthy agonising as to whether a shot was good enough. All flew through. Back out on the streets in the afternoon to shoot more.

The 5N paid for itself within the first month and the 6 is nearly there already.

This is how it should be. Not bad for a toy! ;)

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Huh, all my toys end up costing me money. I'm obviously doing something wrong. :p

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Sh**, me too Bim. I experIenced the Fuji 'shortcomings' and it led me briefly to the OMD. quell supree (ala Del Boy) I reckon the Ginger haired step kid turns into Brad Pitt somewhere down the line! :)

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, cameras and lenses are big black holes I pour money into. But that's OK. The way I see it, the surest way to ruin a pleasant pastime is to turn it into work. :p

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad to have you. The NEX has a few shortcomings, but can be a very capable camera.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Congrats on the acquisition!
    On a bit of a side note, I've yet to see one camera or one brand that can do it all :eek:

Which is why you actually need the NEX-7 ;)

7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Didn't the movie Inception stated that all it takes is for a seed on an idea to planted? :biggrin:

8. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    True enough, the NEX does have its shortcomings, although, in my work its hard to identify them. To be honest, the only glaring irritation is the slow focus using the Sigmas, but to be fair that is a shortcoming on the part of Sigma rather than Sony I think.

I have chewed my way through Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Fuji, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, MPP, Toyo, Horseman, and probably a few others with heaps of lenses over the last 30 odd years, both film and digital. They were all pretty good and did what they were bought to do. I can honestly state that the NEX beats the lot of them hands down!!!!!!!!

I have made a huge effort to "simplify" my photography over the last two years and have got it down to 2 NEX bodies and 2 lenses. This has paid off in a number of ways, not least the dramatic reduction in the weight I'm carrying, two Canon Pro bodies with 3 or 4 fast L lenses is painful to lug around all day. Fatigue results in a drop in concentration, more fatigue, less pictures.

Just having 2 prime lenses sharpens the concentration and makes me work for the picture, rather than standing in one position and using the zoom to frame, I now have to use my feet to walk backward and forward. The result is more "considered" and better pictures.

Since I've been using the NEX I have become a happy photographer, I now actually enjoy it, whereas before it had become a drudge. And yes WoodWorks, you are right "The way I see it, the surest way to ruin a pleasant pastime is to turn it into work". ;)