1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Very handy accessories I've found for the NEX-7

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Jul 26, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very handy accessories I've found for the NEX-7 (+ other cameras)

R. Luther products for the NEX-7 (and others)

THE GUARD
    To prevent inadvertent video starts on the NEX-7.
    Has turned out to be an outstanding feature for me with Paul Bunyan hands.
    http://www.rluther.com/g_guard.htm

ADD-ON RAISED BUTTONS
    To be able to feel / find NEX-7 buttons easier.
    For example, I’ve also been learning to use the Manual Focus Assist with Canon FD lenses and have a little trouble quickly / easily feeling / finding the button inside the AEL- AF/MF pivot. Am ordering these ‘stick-on’ slightly raised buttons to try.
    http://www.rluther.com/index.html

• Like Like x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Cool!!! I like "the Guard" a lot but I think its a little expensive for what it is, no?

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Totally agree it seems over priced...$10+ shipping would be more reasonable, but at least the $20 price includes shipping...so there's probably an excess $5 bucks in there somewhere.

The "4 SHINY BUTTONS" also have a pretty steep price, but if you need more than one set of 4, the price drops to only $20 / set...and includes shipping.

But with my big hands I'd have paid even more for "The Guard", LOL...was constantly hitting that video button...and disabling the video feature on a menu is not solution...you're still interrupted with a big message popping up in the EVF which you then have to stop and clear out of the way to continue...and of course, video is not available 'on demand' when it's disabled.

Seems Sony could have tweaked firmware to include a 3-4 second delay for the video button to work so that just occasionally hitting it wouldn't start a video.

But at least "The Guard" is a very good fix for the problem...thankfully somebody saw an issue / opportunity and designed / manufactured an after-market fix...

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    WOW...what a difference !!

Buttons arrived and I put them on the NEX-7 NAVIGATION button and AF/MF-AEL button.
    Was having difficulty quickly finding those buttons for Manual Focus Assist by feeling around for them...but now it's fast & easy.

This guy is definitely coming up with some quality little solutions for some quirky problems on the NEX-7.
    ( some of which can also be used on the other NEX models )

5. Benjamin

Benjamin TalkEmount Regular

Thats an obscene price for the video button ring.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yup...most everyone has the same initial reaction...I did as well...but I got over it by looking at it like this:

Was the poor Sony button location / video interruptions constantly annoying / aggravating me?
    Yup

Was it worth $20 to me to finally eliminate the design flaw which would then forever eliminate the constant interruptions / aggravation to me for years to come?
    Yup

Best $20 I've spent in a long time...couple double whoppers & fries...problem solved...keep moving forward.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just to share some more feedback on these little accessory stick-on raised buttons...they are making a world of difference for me...after just a day with 2 raised buttons added to the NEX-7 Navigation and AF/MF-AEL buttons I was sold, and went ahead and installed the other 2 raised buttons on Soft Key A & Soft Key B.

Collectively, they're definitely improving my interaction with the NEX-7 by making certain actions faster.
    Biggest benefit time wise is that I can now find and get Manual Focus Assist going much quicker...hitting the Navigation button faster...and then the AF/MF-AEL button...without coming halfway out of the EVF to quick-peek / find it.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I personally have never accidentally hit the video button, but could see this as very annoying.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    It's in a poor location the NEX-7

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And maybe I should add, particularly for people with huge hands...even with a half case, the NEX-7 is a very small camera in my hands. ( cover an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, palm a basketball, etc )

This photo shows it right where the thumb spends most of its time...I also can't leave the 2 "Control Dials" up above the video button 'activated' for general use because they also get bumped, changing shutter speed, etc.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Now that I have done. I have to pay attention on my 6 or that wheel will get bumped.