1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

VERY disappointed with the Zeiss 16-70 at 70mm and f/4

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WT21, Feb 26, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Were these handheld?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The shutter speeds (see EXIF) should have been fast enough.
    I really don't want to repeat my experiences with Sony's standard zooms for the NEXes/Ax000, no matter if they come with the blue label or not. I've said it before but that's what mainly made me buy the X-Wax Fuji with the wonderful 1855 and keep shooting the NEX exclusively with primes.
    BTW, when I got my first NEX I still had the Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8 left from the Nikon. Somewhat larger but a much better lens IMO, but back then there was no focus peaking and I finally sold that lens. Unfortunately Tamron (or Sigma) don't offer their fast 17-50 APS-C zooms for e-mount; I'd get one in a heart beat.

@WT21@WT21: can you still return that sucker?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Yes -- handheld.

Yes -- I can return. I did some further testing, and got (somewhat) better results, but then I got a brainstorm, and testing the 16-70 against my RX100, and my RX100 produced just as good results, so I see no reason to keep the lens.

So.... I asked to return, and got a return shipping label. Though it was shipped TO me from NJ, it ships BACK to Canada?? The seller sent me a USPS lable to return to Canada. Do I have to pay duty on this lens, going back???

5. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    i'm not entirely sure, but sometimes when using a new OSS lens for the first time on my NEX 5r i had to go in and re-enable stead shot settings. I was also curious (had they been tripod shot) if OSS was on or off during the shooting. Either way i can see your concern and would feel very much the same way if it was my copy. I feel the 18-105 G looks better wide open... (i don't own the lens, just based on what i've seen on the forums)

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Most all-purpose zooms are not noted for being strong at the long end - especially wide open. One might hope that an expensive blue badge Zeiss would be somewhat better, but apparently not.
    At least you're in good company - Ming Thein was finding that the $5000 new Leica 24-90 needs stopping down for the corners and generally "lacks bite" at the telephoto end.
    FWIW I can usually get satisfactory product shots with my $100 Canon EF-M 18-55 kit zoom by stopping down at least a stop and not getting too close to the minimum focus distance.

7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This doesn't look great. When I had the lens, I felt it was generally a good performer, not great at all. In fact, I thought my SEL18105G outperformed it once you applied corrections.

Now I have to ask about this test, because I find it a bit odd. I would have never known if my lens was bad at this, because I didn't really shoot it at 70/f4 this far away from my subject. The only time I used 70/f4 was for portrait photography. In that case it was acceptable. For landscapes like this I usually use somewhere around F8. Any reason for this use case? Do you know if it does well stopped down?

8. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Hand held, early morning, walking around is when I do most of my shooting. Also, I like the OOF elements on the edges, though f/4 might not be fast enough on APS-C it turns out.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Ok. I got it. This may not be the best lens for that type of thing since 70/F4 is its weakest link. For what it's worth I pieced together this comparison from web sources a while back Standard Zoom comparison SEL1650PZ, SEL1670Z, SELP18105G

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Wow just read through your DP review thread, so much hostility. Really puts this forum into prospective of how nice the members are :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I lurked around dpreview for quite a while before finding this place. Granted dpreview is a gear-oriented site, but the vitriol and constant whining have become insufferable. Usually, by the time you hit page 2 in an active thread, it is the same 4 or 5 people spitting into the wind. I still check it once in a while, and there are some good photographers (check zackiedawg's BIF photos), but mostly I come here now instead. Because as chrid said, "of how nice the members are" especially to those of us with much lower skill sets. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I think I'll get a Sigma 60/2.8. It's not a zoom, but small, light, cheap and a good reputation at 2.8.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    It's certainly an excellent lens but are you sure you can live without OSS on that one? I had trouble making critically sharp pics with it on the NEX-6 as soon as I went below 1/250 s shutter speed and I have a fairly steady hand; it's so sharp that any motion blur is shown mercilessly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    As long as you can live with a larger size (the weight is not an issue) the 18-105/4G is probably going to outperform the 16-70/4 at 70mm. Uncharacteristically for a zoom, it's the best at the longer end.

• Like Like x 1