1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Vertical Grip for NEX 7?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by cooltouch, Dec 17, 2014.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2014
    I just took a look on eBay and didn't find anything like what I'm looking for. I have largish hands (glove size tends to be XL) and, while the NEX 7 isn't uncomfortable, having the added depth would increase the comfort level. Also, while shooting vertically is not particularly tedious, having a vertical shutter release would definitely make things more comfortable.

Is it really the case that nobody -- not even Sony? -- makes a vertical grip for the NEX 7?

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I got one from Ownuser. If i'm not mistaken it fits the Nex-6 and Nex-7...
    Do a search for Ownuser here and you'll find a couple of threads ;)

3. cooltouch

Dec 17, 2014

4. cooltouch

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks. I tracked one down to eBay. I'll take a closer look. Do you like yours? Does it seem to be generally well made?

5. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    You're welcome

I've posted my impression about it on the linked thread above :)

6. cooltouch

Dec 17, 2014
    Hey Nick,

Well, you're a trooper for giving the Ownuser grip a try, I gotta say. I was surprised to see that there are no current auctions for the NEX 7 version on eBay at this time. But i found an auction for one to fit the A6000 in which a good deal of documentation was listed.

After reading your impressions, I'm not so sure the Ownuser is what I want. Ergonomically it appears awkward, it depends on the wireless feature of the camera (the A6000 at least) to operate the shutter, I don't like the non-rigid hookup for the battery compartment -- the module on the cable, that is -- and it just looks strange. It appears obvious to me that Sony never intended there to be a vertical grip and that this is an awkward make-do to accomplish the same thing. So rather than use something I'm afraid I won't be happy with, at a rather steep price, I might add, I think I'll just muddle along with my NEX 7 and its limitations, such as they are.

I'm pretty good with my hands and wood. Who knows, maybe I can carve a grip extension. Won't help with the vertical release, but at least it'll be more comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    CT, for what it's worth, I also have huge hands, palming basketballs is child's play.

Went through a similar search a year & a half ago, couldn't find anything like that for my NEX-7...ended up trying a Gariz leather half case...and while still not as big as I wish it was, at least its turned out to be a big improvement.

As far as a true vertical grip with shutter buttons for vertical use (like my old Canon A1's had) I think we're out of luck for the NEX-7, particularly with it now out of production.

8. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For what its worth it, I think you can still buy the grip from OWnuser's website

And speaking of wooden extensions, I remember once seeing something like this for the Nex-7 IIRC...

9. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    #Lets hope that the a7000 would have a grip

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    As an aside, I have noticed that one of the bizarre personal details you find out about people on camera forums is hand size! Maybe they should add it to the profile for us all to fill in our hand span :)
    For the record I have small 'lady' hands!

11. cooltouch

Dec 17, 2014
    Heh, well you know I don't regard myself as having particularly large hands, until I'm at Home Depot, say, trying on gloves. And then I'm always having to get XLs. Anything larger than that doesn't offer an improvement in girth (which is what I need), but length, which is what I don't need. Yes, hand size is an oddity. My wife is Chinese and her hands are as large as mine -- finger length wise, not girth wise. Strange, that an Asian woman's hands woud be so large, eh?

I think a lot of it has to do with bone structure. I inherited my bone structure from my mother's side of the family. My late father had small "lady like" hands. I suspect my mother's hands are larger than his were.

Nonetheless, hand size and girth are things we're born with and comfort level is important to each and every one of us. So coming up with a design that can be the most comfortable to the most number of people can be a tricky proposition indeed, I would think.