1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

VCL-ECU1 vs 'real' ultra wide angle lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    So, after purchasing my tripod I have nearly anying I want to use this summer. But: I need (or want ;) ) a uwa lens for landsape photography. Does anybody know how good the wide angle converter on top of the pancake is in comparison to any 12mm lens up to 400 bucks (stopped down to f/8)? It would be used mainly for landscape shooting.

My kit then would be:
    - 12mm F/2.8 (16mm + VCL-ECU1)
    - 24mm F/1.8
    - 50mm F/1.8 (nowhere in stock until now...)

plus a tripod, some batteries, SD-cards and a bag. Quite complete I think. :)

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I was hoping you would be the first among us to make this review! :) ;)

I am also very interested in the VCL-ECU1

Your kit would be the ultimate, because essentially you will also have the use of 16mm F/2.8
    So 12mm, 16mm, 24mm, and 50mm

I think all those are the best prime focal lengths for the NEX (imho).

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Over at DPR there are a couple of threads with pics. The posters claim that the VCL-ECU1 makes the lens even better.

On the plus side, it isn't expensive and if you don't like it you can always sell it at a small loss.

A 2.8 UWA lens is attractive, especially for the price. I'm torn between the ECU-1 and a Voigtlander 12 or 15. My particular worry is that my 16 smears the lower right corner pretty badly, even stopped down. If I had a really good copy of the 16 the ECU-1 would be a no-brainer for sure.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, no real comparison out there. ;(

If I buy it I of course will make a ton test shots, but I really don't know right now.. It's just so cheap that I really want to save some money and get it. On the other hand, border sharpness is nowhere as important as on ultra wide angles, so it's a hard decision.

@Bimjo: Thanks for your input. I'm heavily considering the ECU1 as well as the fisheye converter, as my copy of the pancake at least is as 'good' on all corners and they're cheap and AF. It's just that I don't want to buy another uwa after I spent money on the converter, so it better should be usable for landscapes.

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    One other thing to watch out for is with other adapted 12mm primes (expensive as they are), there is a high risk of purple vignetting with the NEX sensor. At least with the VCL-ECU1, the rear element is still the Sony 16mm pancake which is matched to the sensor and will not suffer from purple fringing.