Vancouver Chinatown

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by bbob, Nov 29, 2011.

1. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    Wall Mural: Chinatown, Vancouver, BC

[​IMG]
    (NEX-5n, 16mm pancake)

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Bloody hell! I thought that guy in the mural between the 2 ladies was an actual real person!

Sharp photo dude.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I had to do a double take as well. Nice scene.

4. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    thank you

Last week I was wandering about looking for something to shoot and ended up in Chinatown. I noticed these murals on the side street and there were two ladies talking, and they seemed to blend into the mural and the colours they were wearing also seemed to blend into the background.

of course I had to get over to their side of the street, but they moved when they noticed me and when I pointed my camera their way they both looked over, so I was a few seconds late for the "moment" , but snapped anyway. A few seconds earlier they were immersed in their own conversation oblivious to their surroundings

thanks for your kind comments

bob

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Very nice photo and nice timing. I would have cut the empty areas to make a more focused composition.

6. bbob

bbob TalkEmount Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    wet coast canada
    Serhan:

I thought about it but I come from a film background where photos had to be printed with the negative sprockets showing to prove you are showing 100% of the frame. Cropping is cheating. I had to file my negative holders so I could enter photos in judgings. The premise is that if you have to crop, then you should have stood closer. I wanted to move closer but then the ladies would have moved so I shot what I thought was the best compromise. That's the problem with using prime/fixed focal lengths rather than a zoom. Sometimes your legs are too slow

bob