1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Valdesian festival

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by dsiglin, Aug 13, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Valdese, NC is a quaint town in western North Carolina. It is nestled at the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, part of the greater Appalachian range. Valdese is named after the Waldesian people, a sect of Christianity who suffered great persecution in medieval Europe after being named heretics by the Catholic church. You can read their long bloody history here.

Modern Valdese is pretty much your average small town, maybe with a bit of old Europe flare. This past Saturday they hosted the annual Valdesian festival which includes lots of BBQ, home made ice cream, hot rods, and live music, among other things. I went Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Here are some photos from Saturday, I still need to edit the ones from Friday. I shot with the Helios 44m-7 mostly. I think a few might have been the Sigma 30 but I got a bit miffed having to rely on autofocus. Just set in my ways I guess.

Oh, and I also happened across a Hexanon 57mm 1.4 lens at a local antique shop. Not a bad weekend.

Enjoy.

Tractor1.jpg

Tractor2.jpg

Tractor3.jpg

Tractor4.jpg

Tractor6.jpg

Tractor8.jpg

Tractor9.jpg

Tractor10_1.jpg

Tractor11_1.jpg

Tractor12.jpg

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some great American fun.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Great photos & an educational experienced all wrapped up in one...This is what it's all about....:cool:

4. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Couldn't agree more. Interesting happens everywhere, you just have to be on watch for it.

5. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Interesting and well photographed series. Thanks for sharing.

6. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Really well done! Thanks for sharing them.

7. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks!

Ok so here are some photos from the first night of the festival, friday night. The main street was filled with a mix of hot rods and people dancing. The most unexpected happening of the night was Elvis making an appearance. Ever notice how Elvis impersonators normally are doing an "old Elvis" look? Guess it's easier as you get to be overweight. :) Oh, and the VW shot I am really surprised any detail was in there at all, there was almost no light and I had to horribly underexpose to maintain a decent shutter speed. That's why I love raw.

Friday1b.jpg

Friday2.jpg

Friday3.JPG

Friday4.jpg

Friday5.JPG

Friday6.JPG

Friday7.JPG

Friday8.JPG

Friday10.JPG

Friday11.JPG

8. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Nice series all round!

I'm certainly getting less and less bothered by noise, especially when you look at old classic B&W photos with their often large grain. Better to have a noisy shot than no shot at all I reckon. Having said which, I think B&W is the way to go, as luminance noise can look like grain whilst chroma noise can just look rather nasty.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice work - thanks for sharing ;)

I like the first (daytime) series best - second series (night shots) are a bit noisy.

10. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    On the Elvis photo do you guys see blue and black "stripes" above his head? I edited these on my home computer and the background looked solid black. However on my much crappier work monitor I see those stripes. Just curious what everyone else sees.

11. dsiglin

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    After considering the photo of the older gentleman sitting alone I decided I liked the b&w version better. Then again I'm a sucker for B&W.

OldMan214.jpg

12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, much better in B&W, especially the window view becomes much less distracting.