1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

UWA - what should I do ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Being largely a portrait shooter in the past, I kind of shunned UWA. A month ago, I was given an old 6MP camera with a Sigma 12-24 in A-mount, and got seriously hooked on the unique perspective a 12mm shot offers.

So, how do I get it over to Nex ? Looks like I have the following options:

1. Buy an E-mount UWA. Not an option, as I will not pay $800 for a lens that is going to see limited use.

2. Buy E-mount 16mm with UWA adapter. This could be an option but I am kind of scared by all the negative talk regarding the IQ of 16mm. From what I read, the edges are mushy even stopped down. There's also the (remote) possibility Sony will release an updated version, as it is obvious they had big plans for this lens and it is getting bad rap in it's current implementation. The positive is cost ($200 with adapter, or about) and size - important for travel.

3. Get LA-EA2 and use it with that Sigma. About same cost, and the obvious advantage is that I can use it with other A-mounts. The disadvantages - size (that Sigma is not small), IQ ( I don't know if it's going to be good or bad on Nex, that body I have it on is old and relatively low res and I can't really judge lens performance). It's a relatively slow lens, too.

4. Sell Sigma and get some other lens in 8 to 14 mm range ?

I am leaning towards #3. I wish Sigma made a quality UWA adapter for 19/2.8, this would be a no brainer then.

Help me make up my mind !

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    To get this out of the way: There is NO option to get a cheap high quality (and possibly fast) 12mm lens on APS-C sensor cameras. The Sony 16mm with UWA converter isn't too bad if you can stop down to about f/8, still not a very good lens. The Sigma 12-24 is an okay-ish lens, quite good even if you manage to get a good copy (very high sample variation in this lens). If you don't mind the size and weight and don't need a larger aperture, that still seems to be the best option though as the LA-EA2 is extremely versatile and opens your world to so many great A-Mount lenses.

Buying another lens in the 8-14mm range? Which lens? I don't know of a prime wider than 12mm that's rectilinear, and at 12mm, you basically only get the option of the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 at your price range which is both not too cheap and a pretty bad lens on digital cameras.

Also keep in mind that, while UWA lenses are fun to shoot, it gets much more difficult to get clean backgrounds or to keep certain things out of your composition - you'll need to think much further than with a longer lens. Still, it's worth it, and I love every day out with the 12mm Touit (which, by the way, is a totally AWESOME lens - but not worth it if you don't plan to use it regularly, unfortunately).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Poki,

Thanks - but I think I just found a temporary solution. I made a search for A-mount to E-mount adapter with aperture control and, sure enough, Amazon has one (by Rainbowimaging) for $18. So I ordered it - this is a far cry from $270 LA-EA2. While I still consider getting it in the future, for now I can use the cheap adapter with my Sigma lens (neither AF nor bokeh quality are critical for a UWA that I will use well stopped down). There's of course a chance it would refuse to focus properly - someone reported having this problem - but most reviews were good. So, hopefully by the next weekend, I will have something to report.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Should work fine. I used my Pentax 10-17 fisheye on a similar adapter without issue. Well, you only get 5 or 6 undefined stops as you stop the lens down with the adapter, but for UWA work it shouldn't matter.

5. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So, this was a disappointment. The Sigma 12-24 does not focus well with Rainbowimaging adapter. I just can't get a sharp photo with it no matter what I try. The lens works fine on the old KM7/D, and another old A-mount lens works with adapter, so it may be just some incompatibility between the two...

Sigma 19 would work for 90% of time when I need to go wide, but I still need to decide between 16mm with UW adapter, or LAEA2 and that Sigma 12-24...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Your adapter may be too short. That is not problem with longer lenses as they will just focus past infinity and minimum focusing distance may be 10 cm more or so. With UWA the effect is much worse. My pk adapter is 0.3 mm too short and samyang 14mm is at infinity when focused to 0.7 m.

These adapters are easy shim, I will put some plastic under lens mount. Paper is very easy to work with so you may want to experiment with it.

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, will definitely try !

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

8. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hmm. One thing that I did not take into consideration is the possible tight fit between lens and adapter, i.e. in it's current form the lens doesn't exhibit any play, would there be an issue adding .3-.5mm thick plastic ring ? I guess I need to try...

I just wish Sigma came up with a UWA adapter for 19 just like Sony did for 16, 19 is such a great lens. I actually use it much more than 30. Plus, it's tiny vs rather large 12-24.

Would there be any issues with LA-EA2 ? I guess not, given how it's made to fit these Sony lenses.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    It's never going to win any awards but it's cheap and fun to use :)

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You add the shim between the mount in adapter and adapter itself. There is usually 3 screws holding the adapter and mount together and you need to put there correct amount of something. I will use overhead projector sheets, probably.

11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    • Like Like x 7
  13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Excellent!!! Love the contrast ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    These look beautiful. Are you happy with the results yourself?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks, guys.

Ad - yes, I really like the results, thank you. However it's kind of complicated.

These shots were heavily processed. Mainly lifting shadows, and boosting clarity. And when I say "heavily" I don't mean that I changed a lot of things, but rather than I used higher values than I usually do.

It's a rather tricky lens to use. Of course I never had an UWA before so this may be common to all of them. Whenever I shoot a contrasty scene the shadows come out really dark, much darker than if I was using say Sigma 19 (while maintaining highlights). Focusing is also a challenge, at 12mm and f8 peaking is not a good indication of focus. Now I understand why everybody says that you need a tripod when shooting ultra wides. But LA-EA2 has fairly reliable focusing. Overall, it's a fun lens to use.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The metering mode that you use for UWA shots can make a huge difference in how the shot comes out. I find using "multi" metering vs: "center-weighted average" metering to work fairly well. Play around and see what works best in each shooting situation. It can save a bit of work in post processing. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I would love to see the full sizes of those shots to see how they compare to what I get with the SEL16 and UWA but is not allowing me to. :)

18. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Shaolin95, I don't know if this would be a fair comparison at this point. I am only learning to use this lens properly, you'd find handshake blur, not quite accurate focus, and overly noisy lifted shadows. Let me get a good shot that takes my inexperience out of equation, & I will post a direct link to the full sized photo.

• Like Like x 1