1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Uv filter or protector for zeiss 24mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gmutt26, Jan 25, 2015.

1. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Can anyone tell me what filter they are using on their 24mm? I am tempted with the Sony Zeiss uv but I see it flares out a bit -will the lens cap still fit?

Sent from my D6603 using TalkEmount mobile app

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I don't know much about the Zeiss filter accept they are expensive. The lens cap should still fit with the filter.

3. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I like B&W filters. They appear to be very high quality. You can find them everywhere, including eBay. Yes, your cap will still work with a filter.

In any case, get as thin as possible to eliminate any possible vignetting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    What's the best b+w uv to get please?

5. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    The best protection is the original lens shade. It is very long so it offers a lot of protection

Any filter will have detrimental effects on your pics
    I stopped using protector / UV / any other in 1989 and don't remember damaging any of the over 100 lenses i have owned and used over the years and that includes the more than 7000 pictures of my kids from their birth on

6. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    I do understand that but when you have a 2 year old around you trying to stick her fingers on the lens is would rather replace a £30 filter than a £700 lens.

7. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    If you had to get a filter and it was a b+w which is the best one. Nano? Thanks.

8. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Check this out
    http://www.kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

If you think your kid can inflict anything close to this much damage, then by all means put a UV filter of some sort

The fact that coatings/ distance from rear of filter / number of elements changes from lens to lens and from filter coating to filter coating makes adding such a thing really unpredictable in the end results and nobody i know has made numerous comparisons with the lens you will be using

I tested 3 Minolta AC Clear filters ( original accessory with the 200 mm f2.8 APO lens which is considered a very high quality filter and adapted to that particular lens) stacked one on top of the others on my 200 APO lens and IQ and flare causing low contrast were so bad, i decided against their use in the future. Even 2 of those showed major image degradation.

Adding a filter in front of this high quality lens is like downgrading it. It is already not perfect in spite of its high price, adding a filter will just aggravate CA anf flare ehich are already issues with it at wide apertures

9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Threads on the schools of thought regarding filters are usually occupied by 2 camps...very little middle ground.
    :)

I'm from the camp of using Skylight or UV filters as lens protection on every lens I've owned since the 80's and have never seen any difference taking with and without shots for testing purposes. Speaking only for myself, I'm not a pixel peeper and if that's what it takes to determine there's an issue, then I don't worry about it.

NOTE #1:
    I have several Canon teles which come from Canon with 34mm drop-in filters designed & included as part of their configuration...I have no plans to second guess Canon;

NOTE #2:
    Not only do I routinely shoot through a Skylight or UV filter, but I use the appended photo to show the IQ I got in spite of shooting through a Skylight filter, plus the "dual-pane" of insulated kitchen window glass, plus the pane of kitchen window storm-window glass a few inches further outside....that's a total of 4 panes of glass in front of that hand-held Canon 80-200/4.0-L lens I used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    Very interesting. So carl zeiss and other companies make uv filters for no reason? I see what your saying and it's a very interesting read. I'm still going to get a good filter. Thanks

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh, there's a reason: $$$ ;)

But yes, this debate is sort of like the raw vs. jpeg debate. There's a wide chasm between the true believers on either side, and it's futile to try to bridge it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    Just another question. How do you all rate the 24mm for taking photos of people! I think it's around 36mm focal length. I think that's just right!

14. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    The filters are a good mark up for the store compared to the cameras. The only filters I own are polarizing filters and I'll be getting neutral density filters in the future (and I do have the Sony/Zeiss 24mm lens. Keeping the lens hood on works. If you're in salt water or very dusty environments (blowing sand), or if you're really sure your kid is going to stick her fingers in the lens, then yes, but get the minimal filter with coatings for the job. No point in UV in particular -- just a clear glass protective filter from a reliable maker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    • Like Like x 1