1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Using the a3000 with a YongNuo YN560-IV speedlight

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by itsscottwilder, May 6, 2015.

1. itsscottwilder

itsscottwilder New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2015
    Scott Wilder
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks for the video! I just learned more about flash in those 7 minutes than I've ever known. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. itsscottwilder

May 5, 2015
    Scott Wilder
    Next video is multiple flashes with the Controller unit.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    good to see that we have people working with flashes. Unfortunately flash users are not many in sony's community nor sony has a lot of support for that
    Alex

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As a fellow A3000 user, I had to check out your full YouTube channel. Very nice starting set of videos.
    And I agree with Chris from above... I learned a lot about flashes in a short time from your video. I've been wanting to try some flash stuff (I have an old Vivitar 550FD Auto Thyristor (N) flash for use on my old Nikon FG20), but have felt intimidated by the details. Thanks for the quick primer!

• Like Like x 1
  6. itsscottwilder

May 5, 2015
    Scott Wilder
    I'm just starting myself. so I figured I would Youtube the learning process.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Yongnuo YN560 IV FTW! I own two of them. For the price they can't be beat!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    amen to that

9. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    they are amazing and powerful with a ton of features, I got 5 of them for the price of a sony branded one!!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. itsscottwilder

May 5, 2015
    Scott Wilder
    My new video showing I setup the a3000 with three YongNuo yn560-iv speedlights.

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Yes I have 3 with 2x TX controllers.

Talking of flash - this is a very welcome edition to the Sony cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1127490-REG/nissin_nd700ak_s_di_700a_flash_air_1.html

Just so you know what you are getting for US$300 here. It is a Nissin Di700 flash with a built in receiver and a wireless transmitter. The key point here is that you also have full ttl/HSS wirelessly. This is pretty much a first for Sony (the Phottix Odins are very expensive).

For the moment, there is no receiver sold - so you cant use it with say the tiny Nissin i40 - but Nissin says it will introduce one soon. The transmitter alone is US$79.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks. I have preordered the commander. I just want to see if the receiver will be soon made too. Lets see
    Alex

13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Just be careful when using some legacy flashes as their voltages may be too high and could possibly damage your camera.

14. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for the heads-up Chris. I've read that before and so I haven't had the guts to try the old Vivitar out yet on my A3000. I've done a little online research and it seems like the Vivitar 550FD (for Nikon) may be within the voltage tolerances of the newer Sonys, but it isn't entirely clear from what I've read, and I admit I'm not completely sure how to use a multi tester well enough or what points on the flash to touch to test it out (there are four pins on the bottom of the flash: two side-by-side in back, one in the center and one front-right looking from the back).

I was kind of hoping someone here on the forum has had some experience with a Vivitar 550FD - I think they were pretty common back in the day - but no one seemed to have one back the last time I asked a few months back.

If I upgrade to an A6000 or A6xxx in the next few months, I might try it out on the A3000 then when that camera can become a testbed of sorts, but for now it's my go-to, so no risks taken.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Okay... follow-up: I dragged out my multi tester and checked this page online to see how to test: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

When I tested the center pin (+) and the side contact (-), I got a reading of around 8.9 - 10.65 V DC, typically right around 9 V DC. And that seems to be within the range reported on this list: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

If the limit for the Sony Multi Interface Shoe is indeed about 6 V DC like I have read, then the Vivitar might indeed be a no-go for now.

UPDATE: I have also seen some reports that Sony hotshots can handle up to 24V. Does anyone have any corroboration on this, or is 6 V the safe range?

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  16. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    I don't have any solid facts for the max voltage but like I've heard 6 volt before.