• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Using new processor is hard.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
I have ancient PS (2000) Still use as processor go green and then BW...had a cat fight with Capture and found out they are dinks, so bought GIMP. Seems lovely so far but have a habit of clinging to PS...anyone else?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I have ancient PS (2000) Still use as processor go green and then BW...had a cat fight with Capture and found out they are dinks, so bought GIMP. Seems lovely so far but have a habit of clinging to PS...anyone else?
Sorry, but I couldn't decipher what you wrote. It seemed as incomprehensible as Native American code talkers to the Japanese in WW2! I surmised Capture==Capture One, and understood GIMP. That's all. :)

If PS 2000 means a PC from the year 2000, then you are better off to see if dumpster diving, craigslist surfing, or Goodwill hunting will net you a newer system. Even one of these outdated systems will likely be a higher spec.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bought GIMP? It's free.

And I use it. Do not have a Windows or Mac computer, so the usual suspects are not available to me, whether I want to pay for them or not.
Was typo..."bought into" was intent...still trying to use it, though. Need practice....keep going back to PS.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
With such an old version, I suspect even getting a new version of Photoshop would be quite an adjustment.

Capture One has a free edition for Sony users. It works fine as a RAW converter, and you can make some adjustments, but if used to Photoshop you would probably need a paid version which unlocks the good stuff.

There are a lot of alternatives these days, some quite inexpensive or like Gimp free (Darktable is supposed to be pretty decent and is free).

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Regular
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I've been rather pleased with DXO PhotoLab 3..... I've also used Luminar 3 and a couple other editing programs before I settled down with DXO PL3. I tried Capture One a year or two ago and never could get comfortable with it, felt overwhelmed no matter how much I consulted the user manual. DXO is more intuitive, which works better for me. Years ago I used Photoshop but stopped after CS 3 and never went further than that.

Top Bottom