Using an android smart phone with NEX 6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bopfan, Aug 17, 2013.

1. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    I think I am going to take the plunge. Sell my relatively new C3 and buy a NEX 6. Love the whole line but I think I would like to have the option of using the viewfinder. Has anyone used their smart phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy III android) to remotely trigger the shutter? Are their other wireless options available for the NEX 6 and a smartphone? I thought I read that one can even use a smartphone as an extra viewfinder. Did I understand that correctly?

2. Larry

Larry TalkEmount Regular

May 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Larry
    Yes it does work. I use my Samsung Galaxy S II phone and my tablet. You download the PlayMemories app to the phone/tablet and to the camera. You enter a security code one time to complete the connection. After taking a picture , you have the option of reviewing the the picture, or saving it to the phone/tablet or nothing. The only negative feature is about a 1 to 2 second delay between pressing shutter icon and the actual camera shutter operating. OK, another bad feature is it can drain the battery quicker with WiFi on.

Larry

3. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I've been very tempted to try this, but its the delay in firing the shutter that has held me back.

4. bopfan

bopfan TalkEmount Regular

Jul 21, 2013
    Worthington, Ohio
    Denny
    Larry and Rich thanks. Sounds as if, in the right situations, the PlayMemories app could be useful. ie, camera on the tripod shooting a static object. would be pretty much useless for action/sports photography; even problematic for some nature photography. But for the type of photography I sometimes shoot, it could be a worthwhile app to have. Of course if it's bright light than the screen on my Galaxy SIII is about as useful as the screen on my Sony NEX. :-(

5. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    Just got my NEX-6 and only just started playing around with this feature and my iPhone 5. I'm hoping this will be a good feature for low light landscape photos.

6. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Have used this feature with my galaxy s3 too. It does have it's little quirks and if you can get around them then it's a pretty nifty feature to have

1. the apps are limited to only a certain countries. Not sure why sony would limit app use in countries that it sells the camera in
    2. Somehow can't seem to use the bulb mode when using the phone app, would have been perfect as a remote release for the cam