1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

User Enabled Turbo Boost for Mac - Speed up Post Processing!

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by JonathanF2, Jun 8, 2019.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    *Cross post from Nikon Cafe!

I recently installed this app from here on both my Mac Mini and MacBook Air:

Turbo Boost Switcher for OSX / macOS

The Mac OS automatically controls how your CPU throttles it's speed. This app lets the user remove the training wheels! As long as you have a Turbo Boost capable CPU on your Mac, you can use this app. I have both a dual core i7 and a quad core i7 and the difference seems quite noticeable with more cores.

In terms of performance I've timed anywhere from 3-5 seconds shaved off from doing raw-to-jpeg conversions using Camera Raw into Photoshop! Doing the math at minimum: Saving 3 seconds from a batch edit of 100 photos equals 5 minutes of saved time! Try it out!

BTW - I also recommend downloading this fan control software to monitor your temps and fan speed: smcFanControl for Mac | MacUpdate

* One more note: If you're on a Mac laptop, I'd recommend turning it off when not photo editing to maximize battery life. Get the best of both worlds!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.