1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

USB charging...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Dec 4, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Nice that the same cord now charges my phone AND my camera. Anyone tried their car charger on their camera? Sure would be handy!

2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    not yet, because I always make sure have charged my all batteries, but it is a good idea, if I miss to do that.

3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    I also make sure to have my batteries charged when I head out, and have a spare with me lol I don't like charging the battery in camera =/ Luckily I found a guy selling a sony charge plus two sony batteries for only forty bucks lol

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    My 5N came with an original Sony charger, I'm assuming they don't that anymore? The day I bought my NEX, I also got a spare battery together with the memory card. I always have the other fully charged and ready to go. I hate waiting for a battery to charge when I need it...

5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Well, yeah. I have two extra batteries, just wondering if the charger had been tried.

6. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    My 5RK just came with a USB cable and a wall-wart USB charger. I bought an aftermarket charger and two batteries from Amazon, but I haven't tried either of the aftermarket batteries yet.

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Anyone here with electronics knowledge who thinks it would be safe/unsafe to use a USB car charger to charge the camera/battery combo? Or a USB adapter and the USB cord that came with the camera?

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I don't, but you could try and then tell us if something happen : P

9. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I'm not an electrician or electronics expert, but USB is pretty well-defined; I've been charging my 5R off a powered USB hub since I got it; I've never plugged the sony-provided charger in. The Sony USB charger for my 5R is stamped as 0.5A -- I might hesitate a minute before plugging the camera into a 2 amp ("iPad grade") USB charger, but I'd think any quality USB car charger in the 0.5 - 1 amp range should probably be fine. The 2 amp would probably be fine too - I'd hesitate, but if I needed a charge and it was what I had, I'd try it.

(of course, if you try this and your camera blows up, the cat typed this while I was outside taking pictures)

10. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I will start by saying I haven't tried this. That being said. The wall wart that came with my 5N is output rated 8.4 volts at 0.28 amps.

I would start by comparing these specs to your car charger. My car charger is rated 4.75-5.35v at 1 amp.

Where as in a standard PC USB the output is 5v and .5 amps for USB 1.0 and 2.0, USB 3.0 is rated at .9 amps output same 5v.

So what this says to me is you should be safe, just will take a while longer because of the considerably lower voltages in USB. The amperage is not so insanely more that I dont think it will fry anything.

Also keep in mind that if the PC has dedicated USB charging jacks (some new ones come with them) the output voltage is still rated at 5v, but could be as high as 2.1 amps (standard charge amperage for ipads).

Again, these are just my opinions, try at your own risk.

11. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    NOW we're talkin'!! THANKS!!

12. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Bumping an old thread - does anyone know if it is possible to charge the NEX-7 in this way, with a miniUSB cable and appropriately set power source?

13. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    I've charged my NEX using several methods.

Car USB charger.

A QNAP NAS usb port, designed to use for an external drive for backing up purposes.

External USB battery pack - EasyAcc 12000mAh 4 USB External Battery Pack Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I used the QNAP to charge it from new, as it's "always on" - not sure I've actually used the supplied charger, can't even remember I got one!

all fine

Jeff

14. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I just got my Nex 6 the other day, and I've charged it with my blackberry charger. I noticed that the light sometimes blinks, so my guess is that this is not an ideal way to do it. It is very convenient, though.

Also, is there any concern about the USB connection going back from too much use?