Featured US Open of Surfing, Huntington Beach CA

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll use this thread to document any pictures I take this week of the event.
    It was a pretty clear day today as you could easily see the Newport Pier when looking south from the HB pier.
    DSC09757-1.
    DSC09752-1.
    DSC09748-1.

DSC09756-1. DSC09750-1.
    Still learning about how to add pictures in the correct order. The Chevy was supposed to come last. Oh well. Even with my little old 100mm lens, I didn't suffer from lens envy.

• Like Like x 9
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So this morning I was debating putting my 2x extender on the 100 or going with something else, like the 80-200 zoom.
    Instead, I decided to break out the old Wollensak 127mm 4.5. I think it's darn near as heavy as the 80-200. Just keep in mind that this is an old lens when looking at the shots.

DSC09772-1. DSC09773-1.
    DSC09774-1.
    DSC09775-1.
    DSC09808-1.
    DSC09809-1.
    DSC09810-1.
    It really makes me appreciate the newer lenses I have, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Now here are a few from the other side of the pier where the regular surfers were enjoying a somewhat better break IMO.
    DroppingIn.
    Closeoutgetoff.
    DSC09813-1.
    I hope this kid doesn't end up biting his tongue off someday.
    These were all edited with The Beach Boys Catch a Wave going thru my head.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    ^
    That old lens gave the shots a film-like look. Was it a few missed focus shots or that's as sharp as the old optic can yield?
    The 2nd shot in the 2nd group....great timing, priceless! :)

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC09872 (Large).JPG
    I'd have to say it's missed focus on my part Will. The shots of the pro in blue were taken looking into the sun, such as it was behind the high fog. I found it very hard to see thru the view finder and was relying on zone focusing such as it was at those distances. As you can see from the shot above, it's pretty sharp when dialed in correctly.
    I caught that guy coming off the wave just right. I was shooting in multi high mode and it worked very nicely.
    DSC09786 (Large).JPG
    I even got him just as he hit the water. This shows how much of a crop the other pictures are too.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yup, it's nice and sharp when in focus. Nice vintage lens!

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Well today I tried my Nikkor 80-200 f4 lens and it seems to only have added to my frustration levels of yesterday's shooting.
    Not sure what is going on exactly, but it's probably 'User error' as usual.
    DSC09952-1.
    DSC09960-1.
    DSC09962-1.
    For some reason all my shots seem to be under exposed, at least according to my software program that I use in post.
    The tide was out and the sets were a long time in coming in so it was about as exciting as watching paint dry at times.
    DSC09912.JPG
    DSC09913.JPG
    I don't have too much of a problem catching the action, it's the focus I need practice with. (DUH!)

• Like Like x 5
  8. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    ^How are you focusing the Nikkor 80-200? Manually or with your TAP?
    If manually, try to find the ideal spot of how the wave breaks and where the surfer will likely be, and create a focused zone. When the surfer enters the 'kill zone', you rapid fire the shutter.

Also, are you relying on IBIS? Are the focal lengths being used entered? I assume that IBIS can't work properly with a vintage manual zoom....can't cover all the focal lengths in between.

The beach run photo turned out nice and crisp though. The 80mm (I assume) horizon shot of the beach shows flaring, a hotspot in the center and lots of dust spots. I assume the aperture was cranked down to 16 or 22. The flaring and hot spot seems odd, is it from a CPL or other filter up front?
    If it's a CPL, it could be throwing the metering off and darkened the exposures. Also, make sure the metering is central and not averaging the whole frame. The bright water will cause under exposure.

Lastly, try to process the RAW files through Capture-1 for Sony Express, if you don't already have it. It does a bang up job with recovering the range and color in these shots in overcast conditions.

Truly enjoying seeing the photos of the event at Huntington Beach. Fond memories of the place when I passed through there. I absolutely loved that house converted from a water tower, don't recall where it was exactly, but I think it was north of that stretch.

9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Will, sorry for the late reply, we had thunderstorms w/lightning yesterday evening so the computer was OFF.
    Yes, I'm manually focusing the lens, not using the TAP.
    Lens has a UV filter on it to protect against the grit at the beach.
    I've used all the methods you've suggested re:focus spot etc while photographing race cars. I'm finding the wave dynamics a little more challenging than stay in place asphalt though.
    IBIS setting was set at 200mm and I think that may have been part of the problem, but not sure. I may try turning it off today. Ap was set a f16-22 and I'm pretty sure that one sharp shot of the jr lifeguards running was at infinity focus too.

Glad you're enjoying the pictures, it's been fun attempting to get at least a few keepers each day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a great event

11. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nice work. As someone who's shot thousands of actions shots using manual focus I can appreciate the effort.

What shutter speed are you using on the surfing pics?

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    They're mostly right around 1/400th Chris.
    Unfortunately today's action won't be seen as when I got home I found my card didn't format correctly when I cleared it. So I ended up with zilch, nada, zippo. First time it's happened to me. Oh well, they'll be at it again tomorrow. I doubt the waves will be as big though.
    So, just to check the camera out I took a picture of our second sun flower bloom.
    DSC00119.JPG
    I guess it's working OK now. And yes, I know the sensor's dirty, again.

• Like Like x 4
  13. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Just a suggestion - shoot at 1/800 to 1/1000. I think the blurriness in some of the actions shots are a function of focus and too slow shutter speed. Shutter speed is actually the top reason most action photos come out too blurry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Of course you're right about that.
    So I could increase the ISO say to 400 to keep the aperture the same (f16-22) for the DOF and still get the shutter speed up there.
    I should have put on my thinking cap when I was down there.
    One of these days I'll start thinking like a photographer...

15. fractal

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Or shoot at f/8. At that distance that should give you plenty of depth of field to work with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll have to take some test shots and see, but I think the big lens is sharper at f16 than f8. I know f8 is pretty sweet for the 100mm lens though.
    I have to admit, sometimes I just stand there watching the surfers having fun on these big waves. Haven't had big surf like this for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, today went a lot better than yesterday shooting wise, at least for me.
    I reverted back to my Series E 100mm lens. The weather is not conducive to lugging around a big ol' 80-200 lens, sorry, I'm getting old, what can I say.
    The waves were just as big as yesterday, although it seemed the sets were fewer and further in between. Hate to say it but the 'Pro's' were like watching grass grow since there are only 2-3 surfers in the water at a time. Lots of waiting around for the 'perfect' wave to score the big points on. Meanwhile, on the OTHER side of the pier, the regulars were having a blast. Hope you enjoy the shots. As they say, all it takes is practice, practice and more practice, and that applies to both surfing and shooting it.
    I'd like to thank Will and Chris for their inputs in helping me get these shots. More shutter speed helped a lot. DSC00137-1.
    DSC00139-1. DSC00164-1.
    DSC00199-1.
    DSC00242-1.
    DSC00265-1.
    DSC00305-1.
    DSC00370-1.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. WNG

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    ^ Awesome set!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Will.
    I'm about to head out for today's adventure in shooting.
    Think I might give my little 70-150 Vivitar lens a try at it.
    A little longer than the 100, but not as heavy as the 80-200.
    It's still muggy as all get out here today. Feels like Missouri, well, almost but not quite.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    OK, today was a lot of fun. Took the Vivitar Macro Focusing 70-150 lens with me on the A7ii. I was finally able to get some good pics (IMO) of the pro guys and the waves were just as good as the last couple of days have been too. Check 'em out...the last one is not a pro surfer, but it is a pretty good WIPE OUT! DSC00376-1.
    DSC00389-1.
    DSC00426-1.
    DSC00428-1.
    DSC00436-1.
    DSC00440-1.
    DSC00452-1.
    DSC00485-1.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2