Upgrading NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jbphotography, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    I am thinking about upgrading my Nex6 (which I will part exchange) - options are A6300 with a new SELP1650 at £699, A6500 and keep the existing 16-50 at £1129 or A7 II with 28 - 70 at £1199. I was really thinking of one of the APSC options (I have a Pentax K1) but do folk think I should bite the bullet and go for the A7 II? I often use non native lenses, so the IBIS is a significant benefit which pushed me towards the A6500 or A7 II.

So? Basic full frame and accept the increased size and weight, top of the range APSC or save money and get the mid range APSC ? Your thoughts are welcome

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If it were me, I'd get the A7II. But you're not me. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Just my opinion....
    The release of the 6500 made considering a 6300 irrelevant. The improved buffer and burst mode, faster and greater PDAF, 4K, better EVF and IBIS makes it a much better buy for your money. If you are not interested in 4K video, then I'd choose the A7ii and FE kit lens. You adapt lenses so legacy lenses will be able to be used as they were meant, and not cropped. An improvement in noise/ISO too. If it was my money, I'd opt for full frame. The size is not that much larger body wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm a legacy shooter so I'll cast my vote for the A7ii.
    I was faced with the same decision with my Nex-7 and went to the A7ii, although it was mainly for using the old lenses at their intended focal length more than anything else. The IBIS doesn't hurt one iota either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I gotta agree. When I'm ready to move on for the NEX 7 I think I'd opt for FF over another APS-C camera. That said, I'd love it if they produced a rangefinder style body for FF instead of the faux SLR look on the A7 series but you certainly can't complain about the images.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I went from a NEX 6 to a6000, later sold it and went back to a 5n and now have a NEX 7 and I don't honestly see that there is a huge difference between them IQ wise. There is a difference but given the cost of the a6300 and a6500 and the fact that you can find new A7's for bargain prices I would think you'll be happier going in that direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Using non-native glass, and it appears you keep your bodies for some time, I would probably skip the A6300 unless the extra funds are an issue. That would leave APS-C versus full-frame.

I did go from an A6000 to A7ii early last spring. I have found I actually like the larger body ergonomically, and knew having learned on 35mm film I would prefer the field of view. You probably already know the A7ii would have slightly better DR, better low-light performance, and shallower depth-of-field. But the A6500 has better, advanced AF modes with more AF focus points, higher burst rates, a touchscreen, and other technologies. It is pretty amazing in terms of features. I guess to me it would be about auto versus manual shooting styles, field of view, and importance of video. If you are one to take advantage of AF and various on-camera features, the A6500 is a better choice. If you are more of a manual shooter and not that interested in video, the A7ii is an affordable step into full-frame if you want to go in that direction.

It should be noted that many are expecting an A7iii in 2018. But who knows for sure, and it will likely be quite a bit more expensive than existing prices on the A7ii.

8. Jbphotography

Jbphotography TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    UK
    Thanks for the views so far - I think the A6300 is probably out - I did have an A7R for a while and it was brilliant, but then the Pentax K1 appeared and with almost all my legacy lenses being K mount I swapped back to Pentax for my main full frame camera. No regrets, but I did miss some features of the Sony (smaller size and manual focus assist in the viewfinder for example) so I bought a used Nex6. I use it a lot (and my Rx100 lives in the car now) but would like a bit more resolution and better low light performance (and more customisable function buttons :) ).

More comments welcome

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Hmmm...I'm not sure the 24mp APS-C sensors will give that much better low light performance (resolution yes). FWIW I didn't think my a6000 wasn't quite as good as the NEX 6 or the 5n in that respect. IMHO the 16mp sensor was the sweet spot for Sony APS-C low light performance. If you want nice low light then I'd pick up a Fuji. For many reasons I prefer Sony bodies which is why I sold my X-P1 but when it came to low light the Fuji was significantly better.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Having bought my A7ii used, I didn't get a manual with it. Not being a very adventurous type, I haven't explored all the features of the camera. So far I've been able to get it to do what I want with my old lenses and that's good enough for me right now.
    As I look over at my camera 'parking lot', the only native lens is sitting on the Nex-7 and the A7ii has a bunch of Nikkor's surrounding it while it sits with a Minolta lens on it. I use the Nex-7 as a point 'n shoot now for the most part. The IBIS and focus strategy I use on the A7ii make it the manual lens choice now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That’s an easy one IMO.
    Do you shoot sports etc fast moving actions?
    Do you shoot video and want 4K?
    Do you own A LOT EXPENSIVE APSC lenses?

If the answer to the above is not, then get the A7ii. With its current price, its really a steal!

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Although we have different definitions of “a steal” I think Nick is right, it’s certainly a better deal than either the a6300 or a6500

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I've had the A7II on my hotlist since it came out, then came the Fuji gear, especially the great 1855/2.8-4 (the only thing I'll really miss when I'll sell all that stuff next week).
    Anyway, just some days ago I came back from a trip with nothing but the @#%& 1855 kit lens on the NEX-7 and I wouldn't have gotten any significantly better results (casual travel shots, no big prints) from a full frame kit but then I had terrific light most of the time and the combo was fast enough for anything I shot back there.
    End of story ... I'm looking forward to take the same combo on my next trip in 10 days - the A7II can wait until Sony comes out with a significantly better compact standard zoom and up their QC game - which might never happen.
    Meanwhile I enjoy travelling light, even at the cost of some lost details and a bit of noise here and there (zzZ) but again... as long as it's just travel shots I couldn't care less - YMMV.

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The A6500 is an impressive camera that I will eventually own, (once it goes down in price a bit). Sony finally has seen fit to fix all the small annoyances in earlier APS-C E-Mounts.

F.F. has some advantages of course, but until the most recent A7r3 and A9 fast and accurate AF has always been an issue, but these come with a significant price point.

15. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    That's why I take my Fuji X10 on trips. o_O

16. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me personally and the type of shooting I do, handling was a big thing. The Sony Nex/A6xxx series camera never quite felt comfortable (grip and size wise) to me. The A7 series bodies feel much better in my hands (especially one with an L-plate bracket). The other big thing was that you don't get the crop factor into account. A 24mm lens is a wide lens. Maybe that's not a good thing for tele shooters on the other hand though...
    I also found the FF at least 1 stop better in high ISO too.

Speaking of AF speed and accuracy, even if I just recently got an A7ii (thank you SO MUCH btw David @WoodWorks@WoodWorks - you're awesome!), I see a significant difference in AF speed/accuracy from the original A7 which I also own. Sure the Rii/Riii,A9 are even better, but for the type of shooting I do, the A7ii is satisfactory :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. Nexnut

This was the first trip without my X10 since I got it and no matter how much I like that camera I didn't really miss it (some months ago something in the OVF broke and I'm still thinking about whether I'll have it fixed or not).

18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Totally, cameras are something you gotta feel and play with. I personally found the latter A7 line a jumbled mess of buttons. I prefer the simple layout of buttons on the A6000.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I took my X-P1 on my last trip (it was before I picked up the NEX 7) and while the X-P1 and XF18/2 worked out great I wish I had gone with the X10 instead. The combination of smaller, great BW and a very useful zoom range would have been handy. When I compare this trip's shots with my previous trip when I took the X10 I don't see many advantages to using the X-P1 over the X10. I haven't traveled with the the NEX 7 and the Sigma 19/2.8 yet but I wouldn't expect it to knock my socks off compared to the X10.

20. Nexnut

Some years ago I wasn't too happy with the X-Pro1 as a general travel camera mainly for one reason: X-Trans - no matter if RAW or jpgs, I'm OK with the B&W output but except for skin the first-gen X-Trans colors never really worked for me. Meanwhile the converter situation has changed but so have I and that stuff has to go.
    Back then I've done a good number of comparative shootouts in all kinds of situations (NEXes vs. everything else) and most of the time I clearly preferred the Sony RAWs, even though due to their lossy compression they're not quite as malleable as the Fuji RAFs. Then there was the 1855/2.8-4 Fujinon and the lack of something comparable in the Sony lineup(s) and lazy me being a hopeless sucker for good standard zoom lenses, especially on the road.
    Fast forward to late 2017 and my recent trip with the NEX-7/1855 combo - I've done a good number of shots where this combo has a distinct edge over the X10 - EVF!, more reliable AF, APS-C sensor, Tri-Navi, ...
    Regarding the lens, this copy (my 7th) isn't that bad at the wide end where I use it most of the time and then there's the extra flexibility of a zoom lens and the OSS that make me pick it over the 19mm Sigma and some other primes on trips like these.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017