• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Upgrading GF1 to Nex 5 or Nex C3, Can't make my mind up.

Toonman

TalkEmount Rookie
Any suggestions? I like the feel and handling of the Nex5 but the Nex C3 is better specified, what shall I do??????

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Thats a tough call mate, you may want to invest a few more dollars and get the 5N. It has the feel and handling of the 5 with better features.

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
All three cameras are excellent images makers. If you can find a good deal on the NEX-5, then swoop it up. But, if I was buying now I would buy the 5N. The new sensor looks to be really amazing and it can take the optional EVF. I think those two things are worth the extra price.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Between the NEX-5 and the C3, I would take the 5. It should be cheaper now and it's not that much worse specified - in fact better at some points, like the 1080i-movie-recording. And, in my opinion, the handling is much better, but that's down to a personal preference.

If money isn't that much of an object for you and if it's not much more than 200 USD more expensive than the NEX-5, get the NEX-5N. You'll quickly appreciate it's faster autofocus and more future proof specifications, not to forget the new Sensor, which is better in low light. The touchscreen is just a toy, for that matter, but well, we all like toys, don't we? ;)

Giovanni Battisti

New to TalkEmount
Video (yes or no)?

The main differences are in video performance, iso performance and in the monitor.
If you are not interested in video, the C3 is (a little) lighter and smaller.

Ciao
Giovanni

Armanius

TalkEmount Regular
You really should hold both cameras and check out the ergonomics. A lot of people like the squarish grip of the 5 and 5N. I originally bought both the 3 and 5, and kept the 3, because I felt like the 3's flatter but wider grip fit my long and skinny fingers better. I recently bought the 5N, and was reminded of why I didn't like the grip of the 5. So I'm returning the 5N, even though the IQ is slightly better than the 3 (and 5).

Toonman

TalkEmount Rookie
I like the grip on the 5 better than the the 3 as I have to stretch my shutter finger for the 3 whereas the 5 is a dream to hold.

Armanius

TalkEmount Regular
If you like the 5 better, than go for it. But perhaps, if you wait a little bit longer, the prices may go down even more as more and more 5 owners upgrade to either the 5N or the 7.

The difference in IQ between the C3 and 5 is probably not as important than how the camera feels in your hand, IMO.

Toonman

TalkEmount Rookie
So, an update. I went for the NEX C3. It liked the handling and the picture quality is amazing compared to mt M4/3 camera.
Any tips on settings etc?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
I too went for the C3 (but kept my M4/3). As for settings, I didn't that I had to make many changes.

Under Setup, I set "Custom Key Setings" as follows:
  • Left key setting: ISO
  • Right key setting: Autofocus area
  • Soft key B setting: Autofocus mode
  • Soft key C setting: Shoot mode
That puts pretty much everything I need a dial turn or button press or two away.

Toonman

TalkEmount Rookie
I feel feel the NEX get a bit of bad press regarding not having quick access to main commands like iso etc. I find that the custom button setup is great. really pleased and a great companion for my Nikon D3100.

Latest threads

Top Bottom