Upgraded to 6 from 5R. Initial impression

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dshin525, May 20, 2013.

1. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    It was a forced upgrade of sorts. I was charging up my 5R for my mini vacation to Denver this past weekend. I accidentally kicked the cord, and a housing from the charging port on the camera came off completely. With my flight just a few hours away, I was freaking out b/c I've never been to Denver and I was really excited at the prospects of shooting some beautiful scenery. I remembered that I bought the 3 year protection plan when I bought the 5R from BB...so I drove there as fast as possible and they were able to exchange it on the spot. I inquired about the possibility of getting a 6 or even a 7. They didn't have any 7's in stock but I was able to get the 6 (with the PZ 16-50) for $200 more so I took it.

I must say that my 1st impression is that the 6 feels a lot more solid all around. For example, the the little flap that exposes the hdmi and usb ports opens and closes solidly, and when it's open, it stays it stays in position, whereas with the 5R, it just dangles there when open. I love the rubber grip as well...this in conjunction with it being a little larger just feels solid and right in my hands. I can easily manipulate all the buttons and controls with one hand with ease...and even after extended use, my hand never cramped up. I thought I might miss the touch screen of the 5R. But I really never used it on the 5R anyways so it's a on-issue for me.

Here are a few 1st shots that I took at and on my way to Mt. Evans. Many were shot using the hdr paint function (set on low). I've been using this function a lot recently, especially for outdoor/landscape pics b/c I don't like to post process...and OOC I think it makes a lot of shots very interesting. Most were shot with Canon FD 24mm/2.8, as well as a couple with my newest addition, minolta 16mm rokkor fisheye and minolta 85mm/2

8751053439_85b5a78433_b.
    Colorado by dcshin525, on Flickr

8752241314_ccde3f3527_b.

1st attempt at using a ND filter and long exposure. The filter I used was Fotasy adjustable ND Filter. I wasn't sure which ND filter/filters I would need so I thought this was a good choice.
    8752271468_2ba46cfcdb_b.

This was taken using the minolta 16mm fisheye
    8751187843_97261130c4_b.

8752338020_02a6abea4d_b.

8751270817_7b21dd7d28_b.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Impressive first shots with the new camera.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well done, dshin525! Violating one of my cardinal rules (never go on a trip with unfamiliar gear), and coming away with such great shots. Lucky bastige! :p

4. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Yeah I was a little nervous using a brand new camera. I glanced over the manual on the flight...and then I charged it when I got to Denver and set the functions I wanted for the Fn button (the 6 gives you 6 functions via this button, the 5R 5) and set some of the creative settings the way I think I had it set on my 5R.
    But ultimately using it wasn't that much different than the 5R. I just have to get used to any nuances specific to this particular camera...for example with my 5R, it had a tendency to underexpose...so I would try to compensate. When I tried this with the 6, I got a lot of overexposed shots.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Looks like the 6 and you are a good match. :)

6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Shooting overexposed is a much easier fix than under exposing.

Especially when shooting raw.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent shots.

8. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    No, maybe if you were shooting FF or a fuji s5. these nex cameras do not have enough dynamic range.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Totally agree!!! Well done :thumbup:

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Depends on what you're shooting I think. For Kevin, who's shooting in dark concert settings, overexposing his shots lets him gain as much of the shadows as is possible without adding noise. For a different setting that may not be advisable or desirable. :)

11. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes I guess your right. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

12. hmorse

hmorse New to TalkEmount

May 19, 2013
    Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing. I have never been a Sony user, just Nikon and a Canon once in a while. I am going to purchase the new version of the NEX-7 as soon as it is available. Rumors are July or August. Can't wait. Love the sharpness!

13. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle